Mayo in my oil filler neck, no coolant loss?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Mayo in my oil filler neck, no coolant loss? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay so I'm a little confused here. So I was running my car for about an hour tonight, and while ...
    Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Unhappy Mayo in my oil filler neck, no coolant loss?

Okay so I'm a little confused here. So I was running my car for about an hour tonight, and while I was sitting in a parkinglot my low-oil light comes on. So I'm thinking, okay, its been a month and a half since I did the last oil change probably low. I also noticed a drop in my oil pressure. So I get home, check level, it was a little above the minimun line, so I'm just about to top off the oil, when I noticed the mayo/yogurt build up on my cap. So I checked my coolant tank, which was maybe an inch from the kalt line which seems normal for being topped off 9 months ago....Anyone got any ideas, I'm thinking oil cooler, or gaskets, but the gaskets were done about 40k km ago. Thanks for any words of wisdom, before I start throwing more money at her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

Re: Mayo in my oil filler neck, no coolant loss?

its winter and the filler neck is plastic; therefore, it doesn't get hot enough up in the neck to burn off moisture. im sure the actual inside of the engine is fine, mine does this in the winter also so i consider it normal. as far as the oil level being off i would just top it off and keep driving unless it worsens. oil pressure should be fine as long as the red light doesn't come on. my engine burns and/or leaks 1qt every 1000 miles.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Mine too burns oil mostly on start up, I get a puff of blue smoke and I have to top off 1-2 qts on 5000mi.

Go to WalMart and find this oil called Marvel Mistery Oil, also known as MMO, I posted a topic on the BITOG Forum and this was the exact topic, the milky stuff under the cap and how the MMO cleaned it up for me.

I add 6oz to a full tank of gas, and I pour 1/2qt in the oil halfway through the oil changes, and this stuff picks up carbon deposits, and other debree from the engine.
    A lot of people have been using it for years with positive results.

The stuff costs 3.77$/qt I have a stash of 5qts.

Whats in it is cleaning agents, lubrication stuff in the form of Phosphorus, somewhere around 600ppm, which is more then whats in your oil typical DINO oil, and a few other things to keep control of the acids that form in your engine.

Try and and let me know if you see the milky stuff go away.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The milky snot in the filler cap is oil vapor mixed with water/acids condensation from cold engine/engine oil operation. Your PCV system is not functioning properly. Check out the PCV supply and vacuum piping as well as the valve (if you have a valve as opposed to a fixed orifice) - the valve pops out of its grommet and should rattle when shaken, and you should get very distinct vacuum at the valve opening with the engine idling.

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Your breather box/pvc system is clogged. The excess moisture and built up pressure is trying to escape through the filler cap. Clean out the breather system and you shall be good. I clean mine every spring with carb cleaner and have never had that milky build-up since ive started doing this.

BusaKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Think your leaking coolant. I had the same issue, after replacing the valve cover gaskets a couple of years ago the yellow sludge was gone. Last few months, the yellow cheese was back, and started blowing oil again. Just bought another set of gaskets and will finish replacing them tomorrow. Relatively easy repair, only takes about 3-4 hours. Guess I can't complain with a 176 thousand miles....

fireguy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

This is no major problem, Like everyone else says just some moisture which is normal this time of year. Change the PVC and it should help.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Cadi Cat is correct. The Catera has no PVC. It uses a breather box. Difficult to get to but it must be cleaned regularly. Not just because of the mayo but because if left clogged it allows crankcase pressure to build and force oil past the camcover gaskets. The oil then drips on the exhaust manifold heat shields and smolders. Very embarrassing at stoplights and a sign of poor maintenance.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

My observations on this is it happens in the winter thanks to condensations.... I notice that happening on all the vehicles in my fleet.

Longer trips of 30mins or more under warmed up conditions tends to clean those out.

AL Cool Dates is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Cadi Cat View Post
    Your breather box/pvc system is clogged. The excess moisture and built up pressure is trying to escape through the filler cap. Clean out the breather system and you shall be good. I clean mine every spring with carb cleaner and have never had that milky build-up since ive started doing this.
    Hey, you got any pics on how to do that? I've seen write ups and random pics but nothing in detail that would show a noob step by step on what exactly you will encounter on doing that. I want to get into the practice of doing that myself.

1998catera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Shopping!

I experienced this situation after continuous short trips. After a 50 - 70 minute commute the "mayo" cleared up but would return after more quick runs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.