'98 Catera, misfire cyl. 1, 3, 5 where to look first ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, '98 Catera, misfire cyl. 1, 3, 5 where to look first ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Misfire on cyl. 1, 3, 5 Where should i look for finding the source of this problem ?, compression tested ...
    acadian is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

'98 Catera, misfire cyl. 1, 3, 5 where to look first ?

Misfire on cyl. 1, 3, 5 Where should i look for finding the source of this problem ?, compression tested ok at 150 psi.
    rough at idle then run fine as i press the gas pedal with no load (revving)

Car is a '98 Catera with plug wires instead of a coil pack mounted on the valvecover.

Any help welcome as i do not have a lot of money to visit the local Cadillac dealer and prefer to fix the car myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: '98 Catera, misfire cyl. 1, 3, 5 where to look first ?

Do you have the OBDC codes? I can look it up in my service manual and tell you what it says, but it is organized by diagnostic codes.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

what yr? sounds like u have a 99-01 with a bad coil to me. one coil runs odds, one evens.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Can you unplug the 1,3,5 plugs and plug them on the opposite coil, and also switch the other wires to the coils, basically swap the left coil to the right side and the other way around to see if the misfires will move to the 2,4, 6 cylinders, if that happens then its got to be the coil...

The fact that its only the one side leads me to believe that its your coils giving you problems.

When my MAF was going bad, I kept getting left side lean, even though both sides pass through the same maf, somehow the left side was more affected then the right side.

Go figure!...

I have the owners manuals for 97-99 if you want them, 50$ and they are yours...

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Wow, i missed the title. hope mv6 cleared things up for you.

Daniel B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I am also experiencing a misfire problem on one bank only.

Year/Model: 2000 Catera Sport

Even though mine is 2000 and uses a coil pack (with no separate spark plug wires) I believe if we solve your problem, it will also solve mine).

Symptoms are the same. Rough idle (check engine light is flashing) and then engine light stops flashing when rpm is increased.

My misfires are averaging the same amount of misfires in each cylinder in the same bank.

Assumptions:

a) can not be Mass Flow Sensor - because this would affect both banks

b) can not be Crank/Cam sensor - because there is only one of each and
    both banks would be affected

c) can not be a fuel injector - probability of all failing equally is actually
    improbable

d) not a compression problem - probability of each have the same low
    compression value would be improbable

I have not solved the problem yet, but here is what I have done so far.

1) replaced the coil pack ($73 US from auto part giant, an OEM part)

Results: No change in problem
    Kept old coil pack for future use

2) switched each O2 sensor, one at a time (there is a total of 4), with the
    opposite side of car.

Results: No change in problem (problem did not migrate)

3) replaced throttle body gaskets

Next Steps:

I am now suspecting that I may have an exhaust manifold leak that may be causing the misfires equally, but I am still searching for documented evidence that this could in fact create this misfire problem in the entire bank.

If anyone knows of any empirical data that this could be the problem I would be most interested. Even though I suspect a small leak in the exhaust manifold on one side (the side where the bank is failing equally), it is a bit of work to replace this gasket, so I would rather know whether this will solve the problem before I go ahead with this work.

I also need to plug a scanner in so I can monitor the trims on the fuel injectors of the bank that is failing and determine whether they are LEAN (equally) or RICH (equally). This will tell me whether it is an Intake problem (Trim is RICH?) or a Exhaust problem (Trim is LEAN?) on the bank in question. I will try this test this week and report back.

Respectfully,

Daniel

acadian is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

MISFIRE ON CYL. 1, 3 & 5 IS NOW FIXED !

Found the problem behind the multiple misfire today !

After checking pretty much everything, i decided to remove the timing belt cover to inspect the timing belt for a proper install by a former mechanic or owner, the right exhaust camshaft sprocket (passenger side) was off by one tooth

Once the timing was properly set, no more misfire...

Tensionner adjustment was good so belt was probably poorly installed ...

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Wow thats good to know... so if your timing ever skips a beat you can have a ton of crazy problems.

catera00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
    I am also experiencing a misfire problem on one bank only.

Year/Model: 2000 Catera Sport

Even though mine is 2000 and uses a coil pack (with no separate spark plug wires) I believe if we solve your problem, it will also solve mine).

Symptoms are the same. Rough idle (check engine light is flashing) and then engine light stops flashing when rpm is increased.

My misfires are averaging the same amount of misfires in each cylinder in the same bank.

Assumptions:

a) can not be Mass Flow Sensor - because this would affect both banks

b) can not be Crank/Cam sensor - because there is only one of each and
    both banks would be affected

c) can not be a fuel injector - probability of all failing equally is actually
    improbable

d) not a compression problem - probability of each have the same low
    compression value would be improbable

I have not solved the problem yet, but here is what I have done so far.

1) replaced the coil pack ($73 US from auto part giant, an OEM part)

Kept old coil pack for future use

2) switched each O2 sensor, one at a time (there is a total of 4), with the
    opposite side of car.

Results: No change in problem (problem did not migrate)

3) replaced throttle body gaskets

Next Steps:

I am now suspecting that I may have an exhaust manifold leak that may be causing the misfires equally, but I am still searching for documented evidence that this could in fact create this misfire problem in the entire bank.

If anyone knows of any empirical data that this could be the problem I would be most interested. Even though I suspect a small leak in the exhaust manifold on one side (the side where the bank is failing equally), it is a bit of work to replace this gasket, so I would rather know whether this will solve the problem before I go ahead with this work.

I also need to plug a scanner in so I can monitor the trims on the fuel injectors of the bank that is failing and determine whether they are LEAN (equally) or RICH (equally). This will tell me whether it is an Intake problem (Trim is RICH?) or a Exhaust problem (Trim is LEAN?) on the bank in question. I will try this test this week and report back.

Respectfully,

Daniel
    man, i just fixed this issue on my 2000 and it ended up being the pass side coil pack and front pass o2 sensor. (Which you already changed). Head gasket perchance?

shawn1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadilliac catera

i have the same problem p1120 the cause throttle position sensor big key

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.