Valve Cover Gaskets
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Valve Cover Gaskets in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 98 with oil around the spark plugs and cadillac says for the valve cover gaskets, (also the ...
    rchurchman2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Valve Cover Gaskets

I have a 98 with oil around the spark plugs and cadillac says for the valve cover gaskets, (also the oil cooler $546 oem part) it will cost a total of $700. How much time to i have before something really gets F'd up if i dont romp on it? Also, what is the worst case scenario?

Anyone know where i can get the part cheap? Anyplace in NEW YORK that will do the work cheap?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: Valve Cover Gaskets

Well, your sparkplugs are going to be hurt by oil seeping in.. causing misfires, and your wires will also be unuseable.

Check local autoparts stores or go here:

Http://www.cadillac-parts-dealer.com

Right now, you probably dont need a new oil cooler.. but cadillac insists on putting a new one in while they are doing engine work. What you can do, is just re-seal it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...achmentid=2888

Thats a whole guide to re-sealing it.

If i were to get this done elsewhere other then cadillac, what are all the parts I need except for the oil cooler because i was told that there are alot of other gaskets that need to be replaced at the same time?

Intake seals... if needed. Oil cooler seals arent listed on the parts website. I guess they are washer-like things, the dealer should be able to get those.

The re-seal tutorial tells you whats needed.

This is what i got from cadillac:

-Valve Cover Gaskets (2 pack) $58.91 each pack (2 packs needed) = $117.82

-Intake Seals (6 O rings $47.45), Lower Intake Gaskets ($14.39 X 2), Upper Intake Gaskets ($21.86 X 3) = $141.81

Grand Total: $259.63 plus tax!

*****ARE THESE WHAT YOU MEAN BUY INTAKE GASKETS?? DO I NEED ALL OF THOSE????
    ALSO, CADILLAC SAYS I NEED TO BUY THE OIL COOLER TO GET THE OIL COOLER WASHERS?????

IF THIS IS TOO MANY PARTS OR THE WRONG ONES OR MORE IS NEEDED, PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!

No you do NOT need them if they are not worn or damaged when you go through to take the intake apart. But thats the correct number.

Ok, one last question..... I found I believe on this forumn, a whole print out of actual pictures taken buy someone fixing this problem step by step and i misplaced, any ideas???

Where do i get the oil cooler replacement seals/washers? cadillac says they only come with a new oil cooler?

For your car, id say if its not leaking right now.. all you need to do is inspect the seal around the bottom of the cooler. For cracks/flaws in the seal... if you want, get some GM Specified sealant and clean off the remaining seals.. then re apply the new sealant to the oilcooler... saves a lot of money and it works.

http://www.jasperengines.com/tech/Catera_TB.pdf << re-seal info

The photos step by step on the oil cooler are in this thread , along with a reseal information document and the jasper engines thing:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=15189

Certainly a good thing to do as precautionary in your situation where it doesnt need it at the moment. Saves you un-wanted money loss for a problem you have already.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.