Cadillac Owners Forum banner
20K views 85 replies 17 participants last post by  kaustein 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm new here to the forums. Great info on these boards. However, I have a few questions for those that know this car.

First off, I'm an old mechanic, and former crew member to a NHRA Pro Stock team. But I haven't really turned wrenches in the last 10 years, other than typical maintenance on my GMC Jimmy, and wifes Pontiac Montana. I do still have a well stocked toolbox. That just a little run down so you know I'm at least a little mechanically inclined.

Last year, my wife and I lost our business, so I started working part time for Penske, at a used car dealership. I saw a '98 Catera on the lot, and wanted to test drive it, to replace my gas guzzling Jimmy. I fell in love with the car, but not for $6K. So about 8 months ago, or so, the dealership got a 2000 black Catera, from the auction, and said nothing worked in it, no power, engine wouldn't turn over, ect. ect. They towed it in on a Penske trailer, and when they pushed it off the trailer, they ripped the lower part of the bunmper wth the fog lights.

So a few months ago, the car is still sitting there, so I went and asked my boss and asked if I could buy the car as is from him. He said I could have it for $600 bucks. So I'm about to pay for the car now. But the mechanic told me to go play with it, before buying it. So the car is mine, I just haven't paid for it yet.

So the other night, after hours, and the boss and mechanic not in sight, I put an jumper pack on the car, wiggled the main power line, and bam, the radio came on, all the lights lit up. I turned the key, and it started up.

The car seems to be very well loaded, with a sun roof, bose cd/cassett, tan interior, no body damage other than the front bumper, all the same mag wheels on it. Very nice looking car, if it got a little TLC.

When I really looked under the hood, it has stains around the over-flow bottle, where the radiator cap is. The engine ticks, like a lifter. But the oil is dark, not milkey.

So here is my questions:

1. Do you guys think the engine might be okay, it idles fine, other than that ticking? I'll do a pressure test on the coolant system, but like I said, with the stains on the right side of the car, it looks like it might have overheated and maybe somebody opened the cap?

2. I'm finding it hard to find the front bumper, in black if I can for it. Where would be the best place to find a bumper for it?

3. What kind of gas mileage can I expect from this car on the highway? I live in Florida, so its all flat driving at 70mph or so.

4. I see on Ebay they have cross drilled rotors with pads, is it worth it, or save up for GTO brakes? Any modifications to put them on?

5. The weather stripping around the front windshield is dry rotted bad, where can I get a new one, without having to sell my GMC to pay for it? ;-)

Thanks all.

Joe

See less See more
#56 ·
The car no longer just hangs at the rev limiter, it shifts on time, and quick, since the ABS mod is working. Problem is, I love the exhaust note when it's in the upper RPM range. That isn't helping the injector, or lifter noise. I think one of the oil leaks is back, most likely valve covers. I'm not worried about it, since a 3.2 is going in. I found a local chassis dyno, and I'm going to go get a base line in the next week or so. I've picked up a shimmy up in the front, with the new tires. I'll take care of that first, then head over to the dyno.

#67 ·
I'll be using the 04 corvette pads in front.

Question to you guys. How can I make the brake pad sensor light go out on the dash, without taking the dash out and pull the bulb? Can I jump the sensor wires in the front?

Fog lights are working now. But I picked up a vibration in the front end. Took the car back, where I got the tires, and they now tell me one of my wheels was bent. Okay, but why put it on the drivers side front? So I can feel it? Sheesh.

#70 ·
Thanks for the tips on the brake sensors guys.

I have another issue, that I need to look into. I thought this was just my Bose radio having the issue, but it appears to be more than that. At least once a day, my Bose loses power. No clock, no radio. I never noticed till yesterday, that I also lose power to all my buttons on the dash as well. I couldn't get my trunk or fuel door to open, while I noticed the Bose had no power either. My relay box under the dash looks new. I took it apart, and all the solders look good, shinny and new looking.

I haven't noticed if I hit a bump if I regain power. All the fuses look good. Any idea's?

Thanks

#71 ·
It could be the K-134 relay. It is located under the driver side steering wheel area, way up close to the fender, a gray looking box (approximate size of a bar soap). It may be a bad solder on the board and I have read somewhere that it could be an easy fix. You may have to re-solder all the pioints on the board and may work fine. Give it a try.

Thanks.

#75 ·
hey guys.. I just took the time to read the whole post from start to finish.. i think I would have got rid of that black catera a long time ago!

anyway.. my catera has issues also, but always gets me where im going.

so Ive done a ton of things, and here is what I am wondering today. I noticed retho was having a rough idol at stop lights. My catera will SOMETIMES idol ruff at stops. I recently replaced one of the air intake hoses that was torn, and would cause stalling. I have only done about 300 miles since. At first it seemed ok.. then after the car is warmed up well I will pull up to a light, and the engine drops.. like it is going to stal, then recovers, and does it once more... sometimes it will idol at 600,800 and is fine, but then sometimes its at 400 and creates a pretty good vibration in the car... I has been sugested by a gm MECH at a chevy dealer that perhaps flasing the computer or TB... ??
I noticed yesterday.. for the first time ever that when I fueled and got back in the car.. I had to crank and crank.. befor it started.. and that has never happened before.
I did a fuel addative for a sticky lifter about 3 months ago. I did plugs around the same time. I replaced fuel filter a week or 2 ago.

Let me know about the shaking and intermitten low idle, thanks.

#77 ·
I finally installed my front brake upgrades. I was trying to wait till I had the $$ for the braided front hoses, but I was getting a brake pulsation from the front, so I really needed to replace or cut my rotors. Since I had the new slotted ones, I just swapped the calipers and rotors. New bleeders and hardware. I used Delco GTO pads.

Do I notice a difference? Yup. The peddle takes less effort for a panic stop. The car just feels great.

Now I need to look into the trans. It's acting up a bit. I'll post more later, and I'll get pics up soon.

#78 ·

Been loving the car. Just installed my Phoneix Gold amp and my JL 10" dual voice coil sub. Sounds pretty good. I have valve cover and intake gaskets on the way, and I'm ordering a timing belt next week. The new brakes have been holding up real nice so far. I started working on some of the interior. The "leather" on the drivers door, started to sag, and fall off. The foam behind the leather is drying out, and falling apart. The Florida sun is just killing the car now. I pulled the leather off, as much as I could, and sprayed the foam with Loctite HD Adhesive. Used a flat blade screw driver, and was able to apply the leather back into place.

I'm going to pull the intake off, and install a fresh set of injectors and gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, but check the lifters while apart.

Gotta get the Caddy done, the Mustang needs to come back into the garage soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.