new here, have questions on 2000 Catera - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, new here, have questions on 2000 Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It could be the air flow sensor....
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: new here, have questions on 2000 Catera

It could be the air flow sensor.

Jea3cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

I finally installed my front brake upgrades. I was trying to wait till I had the $$ for the braided front hoses, but I was getting a brake pulsation from the front, so I really needed to replace or cut my rotors. Since I had the new slotted ones, I just swapped the calipers and rotors. New bleeders and hardware. I used Delco GTO pads.

Do I notice a difference? Yup. The peddle takes less effort for a panic stop. The car just feels great.

Now I need to look into the trans. It's acting up a bit. I'll post more later, and I'll get pics up soon.

Been loving the car. Just installed my Phoneix Gold amp and my JL 10" dual voice coil sub. Sounds pretty good. I have valve cover and intake gaskets on the way, and I'm ordering a timing belt next week. The new brakes have been holding up real nice so far. I started working on some of the interior. The "leather" on the drivers door, started to sag, and fall off. The foam behind the leather is drying out, and falling apart. The Florida sun is just killing the car now. I pulled the leather off, as much as I could, and sprayed the foam with Loctite HD Adhesive. Used a flat blade screw driver, and was able to apply the leather back into place.

I'm going to pull the intake off, and install a fresh set of injectors and gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, but check the lifters while apart.

Gotta get the Caddy done, the Mustang needs to come back into the garage soon.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jea3cd View Post

Been loving the car. Just installed my Phoneix Gold amp and my JL 10" dual voice coil sub. Sounds pretty good. I have valve cover and intake gaskets on the way, and I'm ordering a timing belt next week. The new brakes have been holding up real nice so far. I started working on some of the interior. The "leather" on the drivers door, started to sag, and fall off. The foam behind the leather is drying out, and falling apart. The Florida sun is just killing the car now. I pulled the leather off, as much as I could, and sprayed the foam with Loctite HD Adhesive. Used a flat blade screw driver, and was able to apply the leather back into place.

I'm going to pull the intake off, and install a fresh set of injectors and gaskets, new valve cover gaskets, but check the lifters while apart.

Gotta get the Caddy done, the Mustang needs to come back into the garage soon.
    Great picture. I would love to live there man! Beautiful place it appears.

Cheers.

Thanks, it isn't bad. Not great either. I miss the North East, but don't miss the snow storms. ;-)

I keep forgetting, I'm sitting on Eibach lowering springs, just waiting to get front KYB struts. But that can wait till the engine is all set. I'll feel better, knowing the timing belt isn't going to come apart, and that the noise I hear is either injectors, or the lifters. After listening to the video of the car, it sounds like injectors.

Well, I had the top end apart to change the valve cover gaskets. I cleaned everything up pretty good, but didn't notice any space between the cams and lifters, on both heads. The injectors didn't have any sign of wear either. So I'm kinda at a loss for the noise right now.

The car runs great, and its nice coming to a red light, and not have it smoking from oil on the headers.

The only thing, now since putting it back together, when it is cold, or that first start in the morning, the car bucks / hesitates for about a 1/4 mile. If I let the car sit for about 2 minutes, warming up, it's fine. All vacuum hoses are on correctly. Idles fine. I'll check with a scanner for any codes, but no lights on.

Can't wait to do the struts / springs next, but that's after I get a few things done to the Mustang.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Well, I had the top end apart to change the valve cover gaskets. I cleaned everything up pretty good, but didn't notice any space between the cams and lifters, on both heads. The injectors didn't have any sign of wear either. So I'm kinda at a loss for the noise right now.

The car runs great, and its nice coming to a red light, and not have it smoking from oil on the headers.

The only thing, now since putting it back together, when it is cold, or that first start in the morning, the car bucks / hesitates for about a 1/4 mile. If I let the car sit for about 2 minutes, warming up, it's fine. All vacuum hoses are on correctly. Idles fine. I'll check with a scanner for any codes, but no lights on.

Can't wait to do the struts / springs next, but that's after I get a few things done to the Mustang.
    Jea3cd perhaps couple of things of note,

1. When the car is cold at start the breather system determines most of the characteristics. Cleaning up the breather system is one of the cheapest and perhaps very important detail. You do need few O rings before you start this job.
    2. When the car is cold and you drive away right away from the start, the transmission shifting is limited by the computer modules. This is to allow the car transmission to fully warm up and then there is good shifting. The effect can be pronounced or minimal I suppose based on how cold the temperature was at cold start.
    3. The secondary air injection is also at play during early parts of the engine start and drive away. It can also give little bit of awkward feeling depending upon how well the SAI motor runs.
    Cheers in case it helps.

mdksupra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera, Platinum

Any updates?

Sorry, I started another thread. I didn't bother with the cold start issue. I figured I'd get to that later down the road. I did find that the vacume line under the intake by the throttle body had come off. That didn't help.

But the sad news now. I needed some money to rebuild the engine in the Mustang. I put up my Catera for sale, didn't think it would sell with the few issues it still had. It sat out at the end of my street with a for sale sign on it, for no more than 20 minutes before it sold, cash deal. Couldn't believe it. I got $3500, but only had around $2000 into it, with the purchase of the car.

It's only been gone for a few weeks, and I miss it. I'll be looking for another one now, after the Mustang is done. And no, the Mustang isn't even on the road yet. Engine is done, sitting on the stand behind me right now. New headers, and exhaust sitting in the box next to me. Cobra intake just got painted, and is sitting next to the garage door. Tomorrow night, it all goes together. I hope it was worth the Caddy.

Stwoodworth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

It seems like I just read "Lord of the Rings" and the Trollocs won.

And so my journey begins...

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sorry, I started another thread. I didn't bother with the cold start issue. I figured I'd get to that later down the road. I did find that the vacume line under the intake by the throttle body had come off. That didn't help.

But the sad news now. I needed some money to rebuild the engine in the Mustang. I put up my Catera for sale, didn't think it would sell with the few issues it still had. It sat out at the end of my street with a for sale sign on it, for no more than 20 minutes before it sold, cash deal. Couldn't believe it. I got $3500, but only had around $2000 into it, with the purchase of the car.

It's only been gone for a few weeks, and I miss it. I'll be looking for another one now, after the Mustang is done. And no, the Mustang isn't even on the road yet. Engine is done, sitting on the stand behind me right now. New headers, and exhaust sitting in the box next to me. Cobra intake just got painted, and is sitting next to the garage door. Tomorrow night, it all goes together. I hope it was worth the Caddy.
    You are one lucky person!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.