new here, have questions on 2000 Catera - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, new here, have questions on 2000 Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks CateraMV6. Nothing like Meguiars products. I dropped the oil pan today, and found that the additives are working. It ...
    Jea3cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Re: new here, have questions on 2000 Catera

Thanks CateraMV6.

Nothing like Meguiars products.

I dropped the oil pan today, and found that the additives are working. It freed up all the junk in the engine, and pluged up the oil pickup, causing me to lose oil pressure. When letting the engine sit a few minutes, it ran out the pickup, then I'd have oil pressure again for a few miles.

I cleaned it up, and I'm putting it back together now.

Wish me luck....

Freaking SOB, POS, okay, okay, I'm calming down a little.

I drove the car all day today. Love it. Put the baby seat in, took my little girl for a ride tonight, and noticed I needed to adjust the headlights. After putting her to bed, I went out to adjust them, just to have the car NOT START now. SOB. It's trying 2, and does for a second, then it quits. I losend the larger fuel line, and had it spray all over, seems like good fuel pressure.

Any idea's?

Like I said, it seems to try to start. Leading up to that, car was running great.

I was reading on this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...acement-4.html

About the CPS, but I noticed on one of the last post about the key. Last night, after the car wouldn't start, I would say it starts, just for a few seconds, then dies.

However, this morning, it won't start at all. I don't have a lot of money to throw at this car right now. With that said, should I try the CPS first, or call the lock smith and have them come make a new key, and program it first? The CPS is $60 local, but I'm sure the key is going to cost 3 times that.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jea3cd View Post
    I was reading on this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...acement-4.htmlThe CPS is $60 local, but I'm sure the key is going to cost 3 times that.
    There's your answer. As repairs go the CPS is about the easiest and least expensive. Shop around. I think you can find them for less than that. Be sure to route the new CPS cable away from the exhaust. We feel that the problem is the wires get too hot and brittle, eventually cracking.

I ordered the CPS from Rockauto.com shipped to my door for less than Advance Autoparts had it, with our dealership account.

I'm heading out of town for the next few days, so when I get back, I should have a CPS on my door step.

Can't wait to drive the car, it looks so good in the driveway.

Has anyone ported, and gasket matched the intake to heads yet?

I'm going to do a timing belt on the car in the next few weeks, and I'm going to install a rebuilt set of heads on it, since its going to be apart anyway. But I wasn't sure if its worth porting the heads, and gasket matching everything? Not sure if its worth it or not?

Well, I got my cps today from Rockauto.com

Then I jacked up the car, found an extra CPS still in place. Right then I knew it wasn't the CPS, since it looked like a new one was in place. I just never checked. So I pulled the two CPS's out, installed the new one anyway, since I own it now. Still no start.

Now I was pissed I didn't really do all my tests, just skipped it, and figured it was a CPS.

I pulled the fuel lines off, since the car did start for a split second. Can't find my fuel pressure gauges. No I'm really getting upset, so I just turn the key on, figured I'd clean the fuel spill. But whats this, no fuel at all.

I called up the shop to have the mechanic pull up the fuel pump relay, so I could just jump it, and force the fuel pump on. Nope, noda, nothing. Now I need to drain the tank, that I just filled with high octain fuel.

But just to make sure, can anyone scan the diagram of the relay box, so I can make sure I'm pulling on the fuel pump relay, not the injectors?

I might have to tow the car to work, so I can have a lift to do this. It looks easy to pull the tank, but not on my back, on a slanted driveway.

Well, I jumped the relay, still no fuel pump, till I hit the tank with a Hammer. Then we had fuel coming out the fuel line, but it didn't look like much pressure. My garden hose looks like it has more pressure. Being fuel injected, I assume the pressure should be around 40 - 55 PSI, shouldn't it?

I hooked up the lines, and the car starts now. I reinstalled the relay, and it still runs, but it is running rough. I assume it is running rough cause of low fuel pressure?

Also, the fuel smells real bad. I know the car sat for atleast a year, with 1/4 - 1/3 of fuel in it. When I got it running, I added $20.00 of 93 Octane to it. I also added an injector cleaner, but didn't think of a fuel additive.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

I'd completely run the old fuel out of it and try fresh fuel. I have similar issues every time i buy a motorcycle that has been sitting a while. Not a car but same concept, they always run really rough until i get a fresh tank through um. It is even worse if it was gunky to begin with.

Sorry for the lack of posts guys. I decided to go back to college, and have been busy. I also decided to put some money into my GMC, which was a GREAT idea. I went down to the local GMC dealer for some parts, and landed a job as a tech.

So I got the Caddy down at the dealership now, they gave me a bay with a lift for the next month to work on her. New fuel pump installed. Car runs, but I lost brake lights. I'll work on that next week.

Things have changed working at a Dealership, since I last turned wrenches. Now I have access to GM database, and was able to look up my Catera, to see the GM history on it. Might not have been a good idea. This car has had lots of things replaced before 50K.

Anyway, brake lights are working again, new Delco fuel pump in. Car runs a little rough at start up since the new pump. I went to pull the plugs, and 3 of the plugs are submerged in oil. Valve covers are leaking pretty good. I was able to tighten them up a bit, but I'm sure I'll be replacing them. I'm also going to pull the trans out, and replace the rear main seal on it. While the trans is out, our transmission tech will go threw it, replace the seals, and service it, before installing it again.

Window regulators are fixed in the rear, so I have working power windows again.

So I'm slowly working my way threw the car. I really don't have much money into the car yet, just a lot of labor.

Nice thing is, the Caddy dealership is only a block away. They feel for me, so they've been lending me all the GM tools needed to do any work on the car, since I'm at GMC / Buick / Pontiac.

Also wanted to note, I drove the car to the dealership. I had the wife crank her over, while I banged on the tank to get the pump working. This was the longest drive in the car to date. About 30 miles. Car drove real nice. Only issues was the brake lights going out on the way there, and it running a little rough at the lights.

New windshield and gaskets go in next week, as well as some new plugs.

I just keep telling the wife, its an investment.

I'll keep you all posted.

One other issue I have, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

My speedo isn't working, and I have a traction light on. I thought I read somewhere about the wheel speed sensors?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Speedo and TC light = ABS module

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Well I guess you've got an in, working at GM and all. Its good to see that another Cat will be up and running (probably better than most). Good job man

Well, I'm not sure, but it looks like the additives I put in for the oil leaks, might be working. I washed the under side of the car down with some brake cleaner. Wiped it down, and changed the oil. I put in 3 qrts of Marvel Mystery oil, along with 2 qrts of 5w30 and ran it on the lift for 20 minutes. No leaking. I was hoping to hear the lifter noise come down a bit, but nothing yet. I'll run it another 30 minutes on the lift on Monday, then change the oil to a 10w40 and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help the lifter noise, I have a few options.

1. Pull the top end of the engine apart, replace the bad lifters, do head gaskets, and replace the timing belt and pullies while down there? You can see that this would be an expensive job here.

2. My Dad's new company is one of the last companies still in the running in the Progressive 100 MPG cars contest. His company is using the Caddy CTS, but not the Caddy engine. So they just got a few CTS's that they will pull the engines from. If the cars have the 3.2L, I can have one, just pay the shipping from MD to FL. He thinks the one they are pulling the engine out of, has 55K on it. But he wasn't sure if its a 3.2 or the 3.6. I'll find out in another week or so.

If I get the 3.2, I'll freshen it up on the engine stand, and when ready, drop it in. It will still be expensive, since I'll freshen it up, like change the gaskets, do some port and polish, and drop it in the car.

I'm looking for some parts here in the states, like ground effects. MV6, I really like the looks of your Cat. Anywhere to get that front bumper here in the US?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.