new here, have questions on 2000 Catera - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, new here, have questions on 2000 Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My front bumper is OEM Catera bumper, all I did to it, was to install the extra set of fog ...
    CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: new here, have questions on 2000 Catera

My front bumper is OEM Catera bumper, all I did to it, was to install the extra set of fog lights and a lip which I got form europe.

As for the grille its a direct swap from the European cars.

The grille that I have is the one that was going to be on the V8 cars...

Jea3cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

More updates:

Today I ran the car up and down the lot. Lots of power, the brakes seem okay. Sun roof works fine. I washed it twice, then clay bar'ed it, and waxed it. Car looks great outside now. Front end is tight. Car leans to the left a little, but I'm planning on the GTO struts, springs, new shocks, so that should take car of that. The brakes are so rusty, they make a nice noise when driving. But I'm planning on new rotors, and GTO calipers with C5 pads.

In side is a little better since I at least got the plastics back in place, and picked up the trash. What I can't believe, is the car smells fine inside. It seems to be a great deal for the $600 I paid for the car, and the $40 I've spent on wax, oil and filter so far.

Now the bad part. Looks like a rear main seal is leaking, as well as the valve covers. I haven't tried just tightening the valve covers yet, but I'm planning the worse. The oil filter housing is leaking also.

Now the real bad part. I slapped a dealer plate on, taking for a 2 mile ride. Speedo isn't working, and the car wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. Fog lights not working, and the Bose stopped working, after stopping and shutting the car down. The half way back to the shop, the bose came back on, but still no speedo, or 3rd gear.

Also, when I pressure tested the coolant system, it isn't holding pressure. I don't see it in the oil, but I do have some moisture out the exhaust. The ticking got noisey, but as I was returning, thinking this was getting loud, a Lexus pulled up next to me, 3 or 4 times louder. I can live with it for now, if I can stop the oil leaking, and get the tranny problem worked out. I noticed the car has a ECU for the tranny. Do you guys think the no speedo and no 3rd gear are related?

I wonder what idiot decided not to put a dip stick in the Catera for the transmission? Wow.

I'll have the car on the lift again tomorrow, to check the trans oil level in the plug on the side of the pan, as per instructions from GM data base.

I did find a transmission for $200 bucks with 58K on it.

more good news.

The trans was low. Tell tail signs of oil leaks, so I added an additive that will help the seals, and added some more tranny oil. What a pain in the you know what. That worked, the car now shifts. I drove it around the block, and it was nice.

Some of the wire harness inside the dash was corroded. I added dieletic grease, and now the climate control works. The bose hasn't cut off again either.

The rear main is leaking still, but I'll wait for this oil to run its course, with the additive, and see if that stops it. I did re-do the pan, and it no longer leaks.

I did a basic wash inside the car, and it came out pretty good. The outside keeps getting better 2. I'll have some pics tomorrow.

I found a set of 04 GTO calipers. I'll have them for the weekend. I'll clean them up real good, and have the body shop paint them. I'll get new rotors for it next week.

The body guy was so impressed with how I turned this car from a junker to something everyone looks at, he told me he'll do some air brush work on it. Thinking of ghost flames coming off the caddy logos.

I do have another question. I noticed this on the other Catera the lot had. What is with the buttons on the dash getting sticky? The more I tried to clean them, the worse they got? What can be done to them, or cover them?

Didn't get to the pics today, kinda tired with school, family, and all my spare time on the Cat.

Had a few questions. How does the bezel around the radio / climate controls come off?

I haven't tried, but does the Bose read CD-R disks, with mp3?

When I go to order struts / shocks, should I just order 04 GTO front struts with springs and mounting hardware?

You know the plastic covers over the lugs? Where can I get those, without going to Caddy?

And I've been looking for center caps for the wheels. I only need 1, but 2 would be great.

Thanks

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

I know on the pre 99's there is a little screw behind the ashtray that needs to come out, as well as 2 screws in the sides, in between the hazard/TCS and fuelcap/trunk release buttons. Also you, may need to take all of the buttons out to completely remove the bezel. After that, should just be phillips screws in various areas. The AC/Heater Control and the stereo and ashtray housing are all one piece.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

When I go to order struts / shocks, should I just order 04 GTO front struts with springs and mounting hardware?

DO NOT BUY GTO FRONT STRUTS!!
    They won't fit. The only GTO front suspension parts that fit are the springs. Rear shocks and springs fir but you must disable the rear leveling as the GTO shocks aren't air shocks. Read more about suspension upgrades:
    http://vplatform.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

You know the plastic covers over the lugs? Where can I get those, without going to Caddy? And I've been looking for center caps for the wheels. I only need 1, but 2 would be great.

Both pop up on Ebay once in a while. The caps loosen over time and get thrown off so stock up. I tossed them all together and bought chromed bolts also on Ebay.

Thanks for the tips.

I was reading about something you said on the other boards, about milky resido on the oil cap, a oil cooler or something like that?

I have that milky resido, but the oil is clean. I also pulled a code, O2 on 1 of the banks, and noticed a little moisture out the tail.

I wasn't going to pull the plugs yet, but maybe I should?

Most likely head gasket?

I've decided not to sell my GMC, keep it as my daily, and just keep plugging away at the Cat. My brother has a Mustang that he's been working on, kinda like a street legal race car. I've decided my Cat will be my little project car, but at least I can take the family out for ice cream in it, or a Sunday drive. ;-)

corkgs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Smile Re: new here, have questions on 2000 Catera

Hi I am new here also and working on a 2000 catera. I was following the ? about the heater controls,I took that apart yesterday I am having problems keeping warm,I pulled the ac comp fuses its still cold outside air.If I turn the knobs to 60 the fans speed up then quickly turn them upto 90 and heat comes on for 30 seconds and stops.Is there an interior temp sensor other than the one between the buttons? Also where does the vacuum line to the heater control valve come from inside the car I want to check the vacuum switch. thanks in advance

not sure corkgs, I'm sure someone will post on it. I did see alot of post about the HCV (heater control valve).

Does your A/C work?

corkgs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

ac works fine

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jea3cd View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

I was reading about something you said on the other boards, about milky resido on the oil cap, a oil cooler or something like that?

I have that milky resido, but the oil is clean. I also pulled a code, O2 on 1 of the banks, and noticed a little moisture out the tail.

I wasn't going to pull the plugs yet, but maybe I should?

Most likely head gasket?
    Run her at highway speeds for 30 min. and check again. It might be crankcase condensation. Check the coolant reservoir for oil. If it's there you have a leaking oil cooler. If the coolant bubbles with the engine running and smells like exhaust, it's a head gasket. Pressure test the cooling system before tearing the engine apart.

Major Setback today...

I got the car registered, and insured today. Drove it for about 20 miles, with the only problem being the Bose cuts in and out once in a while. When it shuts off, it has no power, no clock. Few minutes later, I think when hitting a bump, I see the clock come on, and the radio works again. I saw a post about a cold or broke solder. I'll look up that post again.

However, on my drive home, I stopped at Advance Auto Parts for some light bulbs for the tail. I was talking to a mechanic that just happend to be there, and he told me about Valve Medic, an additive for the oil, to help the lifter / valve noise. I added it to the oil, and an extra qrt of oil. On my way home, I lost oil pressure.

If I stop, let the car sit, start it, I have pressure for a minute or two.

I'm not familiar with this engine, but was wondering if a seal blew in the oil pump, or maybe since this engine wasn't maintained, debre from inside the engine freed up and cloged the oil pickup?

Anyone else have issues like this?

Here are some updated pictures. My Caddy next to my Jimmy.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Holy mother!!!

That car cleaned up quite well...
    You must know your way around waxes and stuff...

I keep mine waxed at least 2 times a year sometimes more...

Seems like it can use a few more interior parts but for now it looks great!

Keep up the good work, and most importantly dont be afraid to drive it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.