???TCS-takes off in 2nd gear???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, ???TCS-takes off in 2nd gear??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i heard that when u put the traction control on , the car take soff in 2nd gear. Is this ...
    caddy4sho is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question ???TCS-takes off in 2nd gear???

i heard that when u put the traction control on , the car take soff in 2nd gear. Is this true? mainly asking for racing purposes..lol thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vogel81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: ???TCS-takes off in 2nd gear???

I believe what you are thinking of is the 3rd gear start (the little snow flake button located to the right of gear shift lever). This is used for driving in show/ice. The traction tcs will allow you to start in any gear and won't acctually do anything unless wheel slipage is present.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Traction control is always on unless you turn it off or theres a problem. (adding to vogel's thread)

xxxxxxx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

IMO since the car is geared for 50mph+ you would either need cheap tires or a pretty slick road to get the tires to spin from a stop.

theleatherman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville & 1991 Deville

My 1999 Deville does take off in second gear, and the traction control button in the glove compartment don`t switch it on or off any more since I had the rear shocks changed from air shocks to Monroe Load Leveler Shocks. Before that the switch would turn the traction control on and off and the track control dash light would go on and off and you could feel the click of the switch, but no switch feel anymore either. Since I had the shocks changed the abs and track light are on and stay on and the car now takes off in second gear, and I know it`s second gear as the car shifts into third at 41 mph and into 4th over 55. What could cause this condition? The car took off in low and shifted normally prior to changing the rear shocks. The mechanic did unplug the leveling compressor and that is when this condition occurred, I got under the car and plugged the connector he unplugged back in, but that did not correct the problem. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all - The Leatherman, Charles

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Racing?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    He must be trying to do a burnout in high gear. To heat up the tires for traction.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by theleatherman
    My 1999 Deville does take off in second gear, and the traction control button in the glove compartment don`t switch it on or off any more since I had the rear shocks changed from air shocks to Monroe Load Leveler Shocks. Before that the switch would turn the traction control on and off and the track control dash light would go on and off and you could feel the click of the switch, but no switch feel anymore either. Since I had the shocks changed the abs and track light are on and stay on and the car now takes off in second gear, and I know it`s second gear as the car shifts into third at 41 mph and into 4th over 55. What could cause this condition? The car took off in low and shifted normally prior to changing the rear shocks. The mechanic did unplug the leveling compressor and that is when this condition occurred, I got under the car and plugged the connector he unplugged back in, but that did not correct the problem. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all - The Leatherman, Charles
    Not only are you in the Catera forum asking about a Deville, but this is an unrelated, 9 year old thread.

The ELC system has nothing to do with traction control or ABS. You need to pull your codes. Go to the top of the FWD Deville/Fleetwood page, and read the "sticky" thread on how to pull codes. List any codes you find, AND THEIR DEFINITIONS, here (there's a link within the sticky with code definitions).

Why did you change to spring assisted shocks? ELC compatible shocks give a better ride, and are far cheaper. I assume the compressor is functional, since your mechanic unplugged it.

Is your car a Concours?

Can a mod start a new thread for theleatherman in the correct forum, and move these posts to it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.