catera wont start after heating up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, catera wont start after heating up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; my catera been great the only promblem is recently after it warms up and been running for awhile you turn ...
    primetimes2000catera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

catera wont start after heating up

my catera been great the only promblem is recently after it warms up and been running for awhile you turn it off it wont crank , nothing all lights,horn,radio work, after sitting 15to 30 mins it starts right up fine please help dont want my wife stranded in this car any help highly appreciated thanks im diffenitely a catera lover

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

Re: catera wont start after heating up

Crankshaft Position Sensor. Look up another thread on this page, or maybe next one

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

my experience with a bad cps is the car actually DIES after warming up. Could also be a corroded positive cable. See is the cable looks discolored anywhere. Both common problems with the cats.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by AHazzardToAll View Post
    my experience with a bad cps is the car actually DIES after warming up. Could also be a corroded positive cable. See is the cable looks discolored anywhere. Both common problems with the cats.
    When my CPS would act up it would quit just like both of you experienced. Once after cooling, and the next after warming up. The first time it quit after a dinner stop. The car ran fine but after cooling in the parking lot it quit while backing out and wouldn't restart until cooling for about an hour. The second time was on the way to the garage. Started and ran fine until I stopped at a light. It idled for a minute then died in the middle of the road. Had to call AAA for a tow. I had the CPS in hand, having ordered it online, and since they changed it 2 years ago I haven't had a problem.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

You guys had at least a little warning. My car stalled once in the morning, didn't need to let cool down it fired right back up. She continued to drive fine the whole day. The next morning, nothing. Refused to turn over until I put the new CPS in.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Unhappy Re: catera wont start after heating up

My 97 did it to me yesterday. I shut it off at the mall, 5 minutes later it would crank but not start. I let it cool while we went to dinner for about an hour. Whenn we came back still no go. The tow truck arrived and the driver asked what happened and I told him. He went to his truck as he was telling me he was about to save me a lot of $$$$. He came back with a big tow hook and told me to crank over the engine as he belted the gas tank with the heavy hook. It started right up.
    He said that the fuel cools the pump, but if I run with less than 1/2 tank of gas it shortens the pump life. Apparently the contacts in the pump get pitted (like old distributer points) and will get progressivly worse. I stopped at a coffee shop on the way to work today and the same thing happened. I went through the same routine and it started right away. Go figure.
    Now, my turn for some help. Is there a thread that explains how to change the pump. Help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Brian

thefishel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

The car will not crank at all, and makes no sound. Is the engine fried?
    I was driving the car and noticed the water getting very hot and a little steam was coming out of the hood when i was stopped. I pulled over after the car was in the red zone for water temperature after about two minutes, and left the car there for about four hours to cool. When I opened the hood to add water, there was almost nothing left. We knew the car leaks water a little, but it has never been a problem. Anyway, I added water and went to turn on the car, and there was no crank whatsoever. No click, no crank, but the lights dimmed very slightly like they do normally when starting the car. Is the engine fried from overheating, or is there another problem?
    Note: This is a 1997 Cadillac Catera with about 150,000 miles on it. We just got a new fuel pump about a week ago when it didn't turn over, but it was cranking then. Now, there is no sound whatsoever.

Do you think this is the same problem?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If there's no clicking or noise at all, the starter isn't engaging. What's your battery voltage?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.