No interior lights.. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, No interior lights.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by xanax06 Alright, I tried what eastsidercaddy posted above. I removed the entire left side paneling, took the ...
    USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: No interior lights..

Quote Originally Posted by xanax06 View Post
    Alright, I tried what eastsidercaddy posted above. I removed the entire left side
    paneling, took the headlight unit out. removed the A/C vent. I still could barely touch the relay with my finger tip. I should have taken pics, wish I had now.

So I'm not even sure if I found the BCM.
    You perhaps are referring to the following thread but it has the most info,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...light-fix.html

It is almost stuck into metal backplate and slides out. You don't need to take headlight or AC stuff out but get on your back undeneath the instrument cluster driver side and safely reach out.

Cheers.

xanax06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    You perhaps are referring to the following thread but it has the most info,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...light-fix.html

It is almost stuck into metal backplate and slides out. You don't need to take headlight or AC stuff out but get on your back underneath the instrument cluster driver side and safely reach out.

Cheers.
    Ok, I had removed the headlight control box. Trying to find the problem.
    Today I found the gray box, removed it, I cleaned the board, there were no obvious bad soldering spots. Put it back in, the lights work again. I don't know if I really did anything. But the lights are now working.

Thanks again USEDCAT

mdksupra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera, Platinum

Similar problem here's what I did:

I took apart the Multifunction module and noticed my solder points were in good shape.

However, there are little coils with "flaps" that move back and forth. Upon testing the continuity of the circuits in the module, i noticed one of the coils wasnt receiving proper current. I pushed the flap on the coil which happened to be stuck, and it started moving freely again.

After reinstalling the module, my trunk lid and gas door both worked properly. However my interior lights and radio were still inoperable. All my fuses were in good shape.

(Edit) About a week or two later, the "S" light started flashing in my car and it would no longer shift into 2nd gear, skipping into 3rd and staying there until restarting the Carterror. I don't think this is multifunction related but am not positive, I think just coincidence.

I took my car to a mechanic shop who ran the code and changed the speed sensor, it didn't fix the problem so he reinstalled the old one and didnt charge me anything.

Somehow, my interior lights and radio are now working. Don't know how or why...

I took the Carterror to Aamco transmissions for a trans-scan. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it without dropping the pan. I definitely did not let them do this. I had the car towed home and will be working on it tonight.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mdksupra View Post
    Similar problem here's what I did:

I took apart the Multifunction module and noticed my solder points were in good shape.

However, there are little coils with "flaps" that move back and forth. Upon testing the continuity of the circuits in the module, i noticed one of the coils wasnt receiving proper current. I pushed the flap on the coil which happened to be stuck, and it started moving freely again.

After reinstalling the module, my trunk lid and gas door both worked properly. However my interior lights and radio were still inoperable. All my fuses were in good shape.

(Edit) About a week or two later, the "S" light started flashing in my car and it would no longer shift into 2nd gear, skipping into 3rd and staying there until restarting the Carterror. I don't think this is multifunction related but am not positive, I think just coincidence.

I took my car to a mechanic shop who ran the code and changed the speed sensor, it didn't fix the problem so he reinstalled the old one and didnt charge me anything.

Somehow, my interior lights and radio are now working. Don't know how or why...

I took the Carterror to Aamco transmissions for a trans-scan. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it without dropping the pan. I definitely did not let them do this. I had the car towed home and will be working on it tonight.
    The range sensor (or neutral safety switch as it doubles for both) are somewhat common to go out cause such issues.

mdksupra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera, Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by xanax06 View Post
    Ok, I had removed the headlight control box. Trying to find the problem.
    Today I found the gray box, removed it, I cleaned the board, there were no obvious bad soldering spots. Put it back in, the lights work again. I don't know if I really did anything. But the lights are now working.

Thanks again USEDCAT
    THIS is the Multifunction module. Glad to hear this.

mantonio131 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    Take the BCM out and re-solder and check again before putting everything back.

Good luck.
    USEDCAT, Greetings my friend, A properous and good New Year to you and your family. I'm experiencing the same issue here with the interior lights. This box Mr. R-CAT is describing seems like the same grey box that houses the soldered points of the foglamps as well, is it? I remember dealing with the foglamp issue and this was the only grey box of this size that I located under the dash. Please let me know if this is the same box, then I can pin this problem down quickly.

A million thanks to you USEDCAT!
    Moe Antonio

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mantonio131 View Post
    USEDCAT, Greetings my friend, A properous and good New Year to you and your family. I'm experiencing the same issue here with the interior lights. This box Mr. R-CAT is describing seems like the same grey box that houses the soldered points of the foglamps as well, is it? I remember dealing with the foglamp issue and this was the only grey box of this size that I located under the dash. Please let me know if this is the same box, then I can pin this problem down quickly.

A million thanks to you USEDCAT!
    Moe Antonio
    It's the same box.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.