crazy electrical issues, 97 catera... turn signals, hazards, & AC all malfunctioning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, crazy electrical issues, 97 catera... turn signals, hazards, & AC all malfunctioning in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; just bought a 97 catera with 139k. the turn signals do not work, and if you turn on the hazard ...
    MetalMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

crazy electrical issues, 97 catera... turn signals, hazards, & AC all malfunctioning

just bought a 97 catera with 139k. the turn signals do not work, and if you turn on the hazard lights (which don't work either), the temp gauge and gas gauge stop working and the needle goes to zero, as well as the ac stops blowing when the hazards are turned on. but, with the hazards on, if you hit the turn signal, the hazard lights will then work. turn the hazards off again and you get your ac back and gauges back.

the fuse for the flashers is good, so is the flasher relay. i swapped in 2 new ones from autozone to make sure it wasn't an issue with that relay.

anyone know what to do here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: crazy electrical issues, 97 catera... turn signals, hazards, & AC all malfunction

now the ac won't turn on at all, and the car acts like it's stuck in 2nd gear or something. hazard/turn signal lights don't come at all now under any combination or hazard light switch and turn signal positions.

i replaced the BCM and i still have all the same issues. anyone have a PDF of the factory service manual? looks like i am going to have to tear apart the entire dash and check the wiring for shorts, etc.

i have always heard about the catera being literally the worst car GM ever made, now i know why. this thing is a nightmare.

lakesidepark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Re: crazy electrical issues, 97 catera... turn signals, hazards, & AC all malfunction

The factory service manual is 3 volumes. I don't think anyone has scanned it. If you find a set under $150 get it.

It does sound like physical damage (maybe a rat in the dash chewing wires?). Maybe a harness pinched above the fusebox / below the cluster, the harness that goes up and behind the center of the climate control head.

You can find instructions here or on the Omega owners board on how to remove the climate control head and the insturment panel, this will give you a better look at the areas I suspect. Pulling the entire dash panel is a bear of a job and one not to do without good instructions. The steering column must be removed.

Maybe steering column harness short? this could affect accessory and RUN power, turn signals, and maybe gauges....

As far as judging the Cat by this set of problems...I think this set is unusual and not representative of your normal Cat. The Cat had enough problems that were common to be damned with. I'm still leaning toward the rat as the blame...

i found that the flasher fuse had blown. after putting in a new one, i got the gauges back and ac back, but only when the hazard lights are on. basically, replacing the fuse put me right back to the initial problems i had, as i stated in my very first paragraph:

"the turn signals do not work, and if you turn on the hazard lights (which don't work either), the temp gauge and gas gauge stop working and the needle goes to zero, as well as the ac stops blowing when the hazards are turned on. but, with the hazards on, if you hit the turn signal, the hazard lights will then work. turn the hazards off again and you get your ac back and gauges back."

the flasher relay also controls the turn signals(correct me if i am wrong), and the flasher relay isn't getting any power unless the hazards are turned on, i tested it with my test light. it's gotta have something to do with the wiring in between the turn signal switch, relay, and hazard light button. but, i pulled apart the trim around the radio that houses the hazard light switch, as well as the block that houses the flasher relay, and the trim around the steering column, and so far all of the wires look good.

i really just need to know how the turn signals and hazard lights interact with each other, where exactly the wires are going (would be great if i had a wiring diagram).

Daddytech is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: crazy electrical issues, 97 catera... turn signals, hazards, & AC all malfunction

so what was the final resolution on this? where was the problem?

these forums are only effective and helpful if you post your resolutions up here so that people can benefit from your adventures / experiences with your issues.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Daddytech View Post
    so what was the final resolution on this? where was the problem?

these forums are only effective and helpful if you post your resolutions up here so that people can benefit from your adventures / experiences with your issues.
    So right.

HoffmansCaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Having the same problem, Any input would be nice.

I fixed my turn signal ac and electrical gremlins by turning the plug around on the hazard switch

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

If your plug for the hazard switch plug was in upside down, how did your hazard switch go back in? I didn't know it would still plug in if upside down.

When I bought the car the radio was removed. Th previous owner did not know to take the switch out before removing the electrical plug. He just pried the connector off. When I put it back the trim back together (no radio)it would fit either way. Murphys law is that i put it together wrong. Don't ask me how the stupid flasher switch controls all the items listed? When I finally put the radio back in I put the connector back the right way and all fixed!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Thanks for the resolution. It might come in handy for someone later. Lightning does strike twice.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My 2000 chevy malibu had something similar with the turn signal lights, once in a while it would not work, but when I turn on the Hazard lights then turned on the turn signal lights it would work fine. It turned out to be a bad hazard light switch, replaced it and everything was fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.