Shift Lock Solenoid + Idle issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Shift Lock Solenoid + Idle issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Guys, New to this. I have a 98 Catera with 66000 KM (Canadian). I bought this car about 1.5 ...
    Mushroom is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Shift Lock Solenoid + Idle issues

Hi Guys, New to this. I have a 98 Catera with 66000 KM (Canadian).
    I bought this car about 1.5 years ago from the dealer and am the second owner.

I have 3 issues which I hope someone can shed some light on.

1. Can shift from park into drive. The little locking mechanism which is supposed to get released when the break is applied does not release. I have to manually over ride it buy opening up the leather casing around the shifter and pressing the yellow release tab.

Dealer says the solenoid is failing. Any one else having or has had this problem?

2. When the car is almost warm or sometimes even after its been driven for sometime has an idle problem. When in drive or park, the car sits and idles at 500 RPM. Then it drops down to 250 and then back up to 500.
    Any ideas?

3.Radiator fluid is leaking. Took it to a GM dealer which deals with Cadillac. They said its the Engine Oil cooler seal leaking. They then quoted me a $1900.00 Job saying that the whole cooling system needed to get replaced??????

Took it to another GM dealer and they said Heater valve and lower heater hose are leaking. They quoted me around $450 of which one of these parts is covered by GMPP.

PLS help. No idea what #3 is about.

thanks much

K

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: Shift Lock Solenoid + Idle issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom
    Hi Guys, New to this. I have a 98 Catera with 66000 KM (Canadian).
    I bought this car about 1.5 years ago from the dealer and am the second owner.

I have 3 issues which I hope someone can shed some light on.

1. Can shift from park into drive. The little locking mechanism which is supposed to get released when the break is applied does not release. I have to manually over ride it buy opening up the leather casing around the shifter and pressing the yellow release tab.

Dealer says the solenoid is failing. Any one else having or has had this problem?

2. When the car is almost warm or sometimes even after its been driven for sometime has an idle problem. When in drive or park, the car sits and idles at 500 RPM. Then it drops down to 250 and then back up to 500.
    Any ideas?

3.Radiator fluid is leaking. Took it to a GM dealer which deals with Cadillac. They said its the Engine Oil cooler seal leaking. They then quoted me a $1900.00 Job saying that the whole cooling system needed to get replaced??????

Took it to another GM dealer and they said Heater valve and lower heater hose are leaking. They quoted me around $450 of which one of these parts is covered by GMPP.

PLS help. No idea what #3 is about.

thanks much

K
    1. Yep that'd be the solenoid

2. Does it go back and forth continuiously? Or just once out of park. Still, it could be the EGR valve sticking or the IAC. (IAC Cleaning tutorial:
    http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12433 )
    3. Depending on where the leak is, the heater valve is becomming a common problem on 97-98 cateras. That may be it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.