1998 Cat Tappin
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1998 Cat Tappin in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I've been watching this forum since I bought my 98 Cat about 3-4 months ago. It started tappin ...
    Mephy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 Luxury Performance Package RWD

Unhappy 1998 Cat Tappin

Hey guys, I've been watching this forum since I bought my 98 Cat about 3-4 months ago. It started tappin about 2 months ago and would only do it about 1 or 2 times a week or so, and only for a little bit, now it taps louder and pretty much everytime I start it up. I took it to a Caddy dealer here who has been VERY good to me, (giving me a 2003 STS loaner for free when my car has 120K miles on it!!! GOD I LOVE THE STS!!!! ), anyways, They told me that it could 1 of 2 things. Since the timing belt recall was performed, maybe the tensioners weren't done properly, OR AT ALL for that fact. #2 being the camshaft. He said the gear on the camshaft could be worn out which would be BIG $$$ I just put $1,200 in it to replace oil cooler seals, hot water valve, and tie rods. Anyone ever have this problem, any thoughts???:drinker

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: 1998 Cat Tappin

Quote Originally Posted by Mephy
    Hey guys, I've been watching this forum since I bought my 98 Cat about 3-4 months ago. It started tappin about 2 months ago and would only do it about 1 or 2 times a week or so, and only for a little bit, now it taps louder and pretty much everytime I start it up. I took it to a Caddy dealer here who has been VERY good to me, (giving me a 2003 STS loaner for free when my car has 120K miles on it!!! GOD I LOVE THE STS!!!! ), anyways, They told me that it could 1 of 2 things. Since the timing belt recall was performed, maybe the tensioners weren't done properly, OR AT ALL for that fact. #2 being the camshaft. He said the gear on the camshaft could be worn out which would be BIG $$$ I just put $1,200 in it to replace oil cooler seals, hot water valve, and tie rods. Anyone ever have this problem, any thoughts???:drinker
    Oh boy... lol. Anything really, from a weak lifter to engine bearings to what the dealer said. One thing people do is go in the engine compartment (engine running of-course) with a stethoscope and listen along the valve train etc. for the cause of the ticking. Whoever fixed the oil cooler seals, did they do a complete oil change after?

Lastly, how hard have you been driving the car? There could be carbon build up causing the piston to slap due to clearance issues with carbon sediment- most noticable at start up. Have you ever done a Wide Open Throttle run? (from a stop, preferably on an empty road - floor it until it shifts into 2nd gear, then let off gently and continue driving.) And what grade fuel do you use.

Mephy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS V8 Luxury Performance Package RWD

Red face Re: 1998 Cat Tappin

Well, the place who changed the oil cooler seals was the Cadillac dealer, so if a complete oil change needed to be done, I'm sure they would have. I just changed the oil before I had it done, if that makes any difference? I haven't actually FLOORED it from the get go, but I have floored it while going around 30mph, love it.... One good thing is, since the timing belt recall was performed on it, since the tensioners were part of that recall, I have called Cadillac and convinced them to pay for the repair if that is the cause. So I'm hoping that's what it is. The tech who is working on the Catera said he is 95% sure it is the tensioner, I know he checked out the lifters and such, with it running, so I guess he can tell it's coming from the timing belt cover area. I really hope it's the tensioners so I don't have to pay a dime, that would be great! But until this is all over, I'll just keep cruising in this almight STS loaner! Thanks for the response.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.