Just got a Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Just got a Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a '98 Catera. It is in perfect shape and only has 41,000 miles on it. Cost me ...
    star2323 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just got a Catera

I just bought a '98 Catera. It is in perfect shape and only has 41,000 miles on it. Cost me $4,800. So for I have been really pleased with the car, but all of the posts about staying away from '97 and '98 models have me a little worried now though.

What are some major things I should look out for or make sure and keep maintained, etc? I do not have the Bose system so how hard is it to add aftermarket speakers, radio, amp, etc? What size of speakers fit the car?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Just got a Catera

ouch. the price scares me (Not that you got a bad deal, but that i wont be able to get anything for my 97 with 102k miles, LOL)

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Things to make sure are maintained/checked:

1. Oil - Make sure no coolant is ever saturated with it, check level.
    2. Coolant - No oil saturated, check level.
    3. Sparkplugs and wire sleeves- Check for oil seepage in that area.
    4. Valve covers - Comes with oil seepage from sparkplug area; can be visible leakage.
    5. Tire Wear - Any Abnormal Wear
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Replacing the radio, a face plate for it is a hard to find item BUT you can get one here: http://www.installer.com/kits/

Speakers: 6 1/2 in the front (doors) and 6 1/2 in the rear (doors) .. not sure about the tweeters. Ill still research that. Replacing it shouldnt be harder than on a normal car. I dont think theres an amp already there- if there were one, it would be on the back deck but there isnt. It'd be good to check the whole system out first (the stock) see what the speakers look like, what wires there are etc. before you go about buying and installing things. Its another story getting the radio out itself... (i remember a tutorial on it, but ill have to look it up.. gimme a bit)

Thanks for the information and links. I'm a consignment buyer for a dealership and I just picked the car up at a dealers' auction on Tuesday. Thats how I got it for only $4,800.

Special thanks to justindu for the free carfax report. Report came back completely clean.

justindu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by star2323
    Thanks for the information and links. I'm a consignment buyer for a dealership and I just picked the car up at a dealers' auction on Tuesday. Thats how I got it for only $4,800.

Special thanks to justindu for the free carfax report. Report came back completely clean.

Glad I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by JefferyG
    Things to make sure are maintained/checked:

1. Oil - Make sure no coolant is ever saturated with it, check level.
    2. Coolant - No oil saturated, check level.
    3. Sparkplugs and wire sleeves- Check for oil seepage in that area.
    4. Valve covers - Comes with oil seepage from sparkplug area; can be visible leakage.
    5. Tire Wear - Any Abnormal Wear
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Replacing the radio, a face plate for it is a hard to find item BUT you can get one here: http://www.installer.com/kits/

Speakers: 6 1/2 in the front (doors) and 6 1/2 in the rear (doors) .. not sure about the tweeters. Ill still research that. Replacing it shouldnt be harder than on a normal car. I dont think theres an amp already there- if there were one, it would be on the back deck but there isnt. It'd be good to check the whole system out first (the stock) see what the speakers look like, what wires there are etc. before you go about buying and installing things. Its another story getting the radio out itself... (i remember a tutorial on it, but ill have to look it up.. gimme a bit)
    Do you know if that face plate will work with a double-DIN face? This Kenwood DVD receiver would look awesome in there:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X5Wk2xK...1&avf=N&search=

Probably want to call that website or e-mail them asking if there are an double din face plates then... i only see single.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.