Caterra Help!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Caterra Help!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 99 caterra that battery went dead cause i left the key on. After i charge the battery ...
    cwassenar is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Caterra Help!!

I have a 99 caterra that battery went dead cause i left the key on. After i charge the battery and turn it over it starts but then starts sputtering like its running on 3 cylinders. Has this happend to anyone do you know a fix.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Caterra Help!!

Ok any ideas as to what to check for the sputtering PLEASE im desperate.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

The car has electronic throttle control. You have to make it "relearn" the angle of the throttle body.

1.Turn the ignition to the ON (II) position. Do not start the engine.
    2. Leave the ignition in the ON (II) position for atleast 3 minutes so that the electronic throttle control will cycle and re-learn its home position.
    3. Turn the ignition OFF
    4. Start and run the engine for atleast 30 seconds.

After the 30 seconds, you can keep running it or turn it off. Its set by then.

If you follow through with these insturctions completely- to the dot, and it still doesnt work properly then you may have a problem.

Yes ive tried this 3 times and still no go! Thanks for the help

Check all of the fuses in the engine compartment, if you had your car jump started that can pop some. Although, if it popped fuses then it may have done other damage... ruined integral computers that operate the car.

Are there any trouble lights in the dash going off? Do all of the electronics work inside? (i.e Radio, steeringwheel buttons, headlights, power seats etc.)

No lights on dash are on and yes all my lights go on. Although when you put down the windows it is extremely slow. All the fuses were also checked

Any other suggestions

Check all of the coil on plug's to make sure they are working, see if your getting spark at the plugs. Check the fuses under the steering wheel column (remove the large trim pad/piece underneath the steeringwheel to uncover a fuse pannel).

Get the car to a mechanic and get it computer diagnosed. Easiest solution.

Something electronic either fried , or is not working right anymore after that jump start.

Thanks alot for your helpful suggestions, ya i had them tow it away today to the dealers. Cant wait to see what this is gonna cost me!

ok car went to shop today they say half the spark plugs were junk needed a coil

and throttle body cleaned. And now possibly something with the vacum line.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.