Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Problems with 2000 Catera Sport in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have 3 issues with my car and was wondering if anyone on hear had any idea on how to ...
I have 3 issues with my car and was wondering if anyone on hear had any idea on how to maybe fix it.
1. I just replaced my headlight bulbs in my car which are H.I.D. I had it brought to a dealership and they said the side that was out doesnt have any power going to it. I was told it may be a fuse. Any other ideas?
2. My power steering has been acting strage lately. When i first start my car up the steering works fine and i have no probelms. After about 5 minutes, the steering gets stiff and hard to turn at a slow speed or low rpms. When i accelerate the steering loosens back up and feels how it should feel. The power steering fluid is topped off too.
3. My check engine light has been on forever. Anytime i bring it to a mechanic they always tell me the same thing but the light never goes out. They said the coils were bad and this has happened about 3 or 4 times already. I can't accelrate past 4000 rpms because the check engine light starts flashing and the engine begins to studder or miss fire.
If anyone has any idea about any of these topics i would really appreciate your help.
could be a fuse, a relay or a ballast on the relay. do an HID search, i think there was a recent topic on this too. as far as the power steering, that could be normal, i know the cts's are like that. it's like a "real-feel" steering or something. and i might try changing the plugs and see if that fixes ur miss, if not the coil is directly connected to the plugs so you'd have no problem changing it out. it could actually be easier than changing out your plugs, just more expensive.
1. Fuse, ballast, relay, fault at switch, damaged wires....
2. PWR steering pump possible, is it noisy?
3. could be this, that or this, that and them!! haha what cylinders are missing? if its only one then more then likely its a coil. If its multiple on one bank a cam sensor is also a possibility. Get the codes for use to help ya.
Do you ever feel pulsation in the steering? Not the type brakes give but say if your at a stop and turning the wheel. Dow you feel the steering pulsate from easy to hard? Im thinking if you replace the pump your steering will return back to normal. Only other thing i can think of is the steering gear binding up, witch i havnt seen yet but anything is possible.
Tonight i noticed a clicking sound when i try to turn the wheel. I wouldn't say its a pulsating feeling. Before the car warms up. The steering is fine. It will turn left to right with ease. Once the engine heats up the steering starts to stiffen. Below about 3000 rpms the steering is very very stiff. almost impossible to turn. Once the car reaches about that it seems to go back to normal and reacts the way it normally would.
I would try flushing the power steering fluid out, and put new in first, as its probably the cheapest thing to do.
Just remember these cars use DexronIII type ATF and not regular power steering fluid.
I had an issue with hard to turn steering wheel and I added a splash of Seafoam brand Trans Tune that I picked up from AutoZone to the fluid and it instantly helped out and kind of band-aid' the worn pump I have.