Code P1700 Gear Shift Ratio/ Transmission sticking problem/ PS not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Code P1700 Gear Shift Ratio/ Transmission sticking problem/ PS not working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 99 Catera for my son. It drove good for one day and then the Check Engine ...
    mredub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Code P1700 Gear Shift Ratio/ Transmission sticking problem/ PS not working

I just bought a 99 Catera for my son. It drove good for one day and then the Check Engine light started coming on. We noticed the transmission is slow to shift from 1st to 2nd. We also noticed that the power steering is now very tight and hard to turn. I think these could be related, but I'm no mechanic.

He took it to Auto Zone who tested it and the Code p1700 came up. Any help with this would be deeply appreciated. I cannot afford to take the car to the dealer, especially if this something that could be fixed relatively easily.

ps...I checked all the fuses and they all were good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

Re: Code P1700 Gear Shift Ratio/ Transmission sticking problem/ PS not working

dont know much about the code, but a quick google search turned up this
    P1700....Malfunction Indicator Lamp requested by trans control module
    no other detail, found it here http://www.aa1car.com/trouble-codes/...1700-p1899.htm

Thanks J. The Code P1700 according to the link you sent supposedly was triggered by the Transmission Control Module. I am wondering if anyone out there has replaced a transmission control module. I noticed a few used ones on ebay.

Any help or answers are always welcome.

Eric

bump

sassanach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 59,60,73,2000sts,1999omega/catera

p1700 is a generic code which basically means that the input on the gearbox has been measured and compared to what the output of the gearbox should be and it does'nt stack up.it does not mean replace the gearbox ecu,it is more likely to be any number of internal problems ie,solenoids,thrust washer,possibly low fluid level(worth a check)or even its just plain worn out.i would of thought that its highly unlikely that its just started 1 day after you purchased the vehicle.does it reset itself after you restart the car?

sassanach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 59,60,73,2000sts,1999omega/catera

just a quick afterthought sometimes a p1700 code can be triggered by a dodgy selector switch on the side of the box.

I have had it checked and the fluid level was low. I filled it up and it started to drive good, then went back to the sticking again. The power steering is hard as well. Could it be the TCM? I havent got the cash to have the trans broken down, but it seems that these problems are related. Any help here would be valuable.

Eric

inna-catera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000

Did you ever get this code figured out and the car fixed? I have this code coming up as well, along with about 10 others...

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What did you pay for it and did you get it from a dealer? In case you aren't aware these cars are a piece of crap. Now I will get flamed for this, but read the posts here. The car is awful!

gzkom is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I got the P1700 code as well as the sticking power steering.

But I also have a C2108 code.

I only notice that the power steering becomes very stick when two warning lights (will find what they are) get on, in the meatime, the speed meter becomes 0 while driving (lost indication).

Otherwise, the car driving fine.

Mine is Catera 1999.

Thanks.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gzkom View Post
    I also have a C2108 code. I only notice that the power steering becomes very stick when two warning lights (will find what they are) get on, in the meatime, the speed meter becomes 0 while driving (lost indication).
    The 2108 indicates an EBTCM failure aka the ABS module. Many threads regarding it, just search. It affects the PS at low parking lot speeds. Kills the Speedo, ABS, TC, SPORT O/D, & ODO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.