Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Oil Change?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  yellowxhoodie 
#1 ·
went to change my oil tonight and it seems like the oil drain plus is stripped...

when i try to take it off, it just keeps spinning and spinning.

suggestions? ideas? anything?

Thanks

#2 ·
If you can still get the bolt to turn you can try sliding something in between the pan and the bolt to apply some downward pressure. It will probably have to be something pretty thin. Maybe a knife or whatever you can find. Becareful not to stab yourself in the face should you go with a literal knife of course. I have had a similar problem before and this is what ended up working for me. When I got the bolt out it was stripped very akwardly.

I think I am reading what you wrote right.

#4 ·
left loosey, righty tighty :confused:

that torx drive in the center of the bolt is a royal pain, mine is really worn and i can guarantee its from the PO taking the car to jiffy lube.
the threads are all tweaked halfway down the bolt and the torx drive in the center is extremely worn.
the first time i did the oil, i had to use a very large set of vice grips on the outside of the "drain bolt" (on that thin round sealing part)
it may be worth a shot if you have a set of vise grips to try that

#7 ·
i realized the other night that i may not have been clear enough when describing my problem.

the torx thread is fine, the bit fits in and the ratchet turns fine. Its the actual threads on the plug that seem to be stripped.

hope that makes sense.

ive got a buddy who works at a chevy dealer so im prob. just going to have him order a new plug for me just in case i cant get the old one back in after i pry it out.

#8 ·
If the drain plug threads are stripped, then the threads in the pan will be at least partially stripped. You might need to drop the oil pan and run a tap through the hole to clean the threads up, take a good look when you put the new bolt in. I wouldn't tap the hole with the pan still on because you'll get metal shavings sitting in the pan and once you run the car they will cause all kinds of damage. I hope it all works out well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.