H.I.D Bulb Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, H.I.D Bulb Replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My passenger side H.I.D. low beam has burnt out. I am curious to what type of bulb i need to ...
    areed1988 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

H.I.D Bulb Replacement

My passenger side H.I.D. low beam has burnt out. I am curious to what type of bulb i need to replace it and any kind of directions on how to do it myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: H.I.D Bulb Replacement

Yep go buy a D2S Bulb, they are avilable on ebay for around 25$ used...

If you get a 85122 bulb you might have a color difference between the DS and PS... I would recomend the 85122+ which is so far the brightest and whitest bulb available ...

The headlight is held by 3 screws 2 on top and 1 on bottom then there is a cap held by another 3 screws... remove those, remove the plug and you will find the bulb, then simply remove replace and reinstall everything...

I have upgraded my bulbs to higher K rating and found reduced lighting on the road so I stuck with the OEM stuff... Philips D2S bulbs all the way...

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

thats true about the Kelvin color rating, the coating on the bulb to get the bluer light restricts the output
    (OEM) 4300k ~ 3200 lumens
    (Bluer) 6000k ~ 2400 lumens
    it only gets worse from there
    blue coatings on regular bulbs also reduces output as well even though it may seem "brighter"

I still have my OEM bulbs so if you are intrested let me know I will send you one of them for 20$ shipped!... They have a few hundred hours on them and will look exact same color as your other bulb... otherwise you will have one yellowish and one bluish bulb due to color shift from bulb ageing...

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    They have a few hundred hours on them and will look exact same color as your other bulb... otherwise you will have one yellowish and one bluish bulb due to color shift from bulb aging...
    Truth

Thanks for all the help. I'll be looking into getting new bulbs sometime this week. I was told that the price for one new H.I.D. bulb would run me about $90.00

CateraMV6, i tried sending you a private message but i was unable to. I am interested in the replacement bulb that you offered me. If you could send me a private message or email me that would be great.

there's a reputable seller on ebay, akinaboy, i have bought stuff from him before with good results, and he was recommended to me by the hidplanet forum
    here's a used bulb for 34 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85122...Q5fAccessories
    and here's a new one for 68 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-P...Q5fAccessories
    and a new pair for 130 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PHILI...Q5fAccessories

thanks for the help. I ended up finding a pair of philips bulbs off of ebay for a decent price so i just went with those. i have another problem and was curios to see if any of you have a clue to this. After i installed the bulb on the side that brunt out, theres not power going to that bulb now. any idea of what the problem might be?

CaterMV6, i tried to send you another private message, i was unable to again because im a new user i believe.

If your bulb is not powering up then your ballast is shot!...

Check all fuses but I think the Low beams run off the same fuse so if your one side works then the other side is burned out...

Take a tester and test the positive and negative leads on the plug that connects to the ballast...

If those are working then go on ebay and get a replacement ballast... also if you get the regular generic HID ballsts then you will need the D2S adapters... those are dirt cheap, you hook up the new ballast in the same place with the same exact connector, then you attach the end of it with the other adapter and you hook it up to the bulb... that should be your fix!

Is there a certain type of ballast i need or would anything off of ebay fit my car?

Would any ballast off of ebay work or would it have to be just for the catera. and.. What is a ball park price for a new ballast?

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

i pretty sure any ballast would work, but you might have to splice some wires at most. Worst comes to worst, the full HID kit off eBay will probably run you cheaper than one OEM ballast, plus you have TWO new ballasts and bulbs!

Well the ballasts come with some sort of original harness designed to adapt to any style HID bulb... you will need to buy an adapter and get the adapter to attach to the universal Ballast. its called D2S adapter cables.

Otherwise the OEM hella ballasts can run around 100$ a pc... but you will be just fine with a universal one!...

They can be had for around 30$.... or I got a spare one if you like I can probably send it to you... PM or email me if you want it..

frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Hey guys.. I'm about to replace my dead ballasts too with a universal ballast off ebay. How would I go about connecting the universal ballast in place of my dead oem ones? Would my car's wire harness connector plug in to the universal ballast (are the connectors for ballasts all the same no matter what car brand??) or would I need to cut the connectors off and splice them?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.