Locking lugnuts??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Locking lugnuts?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have new wheels and tires on my Cat and would like to lock them up but am having a ...
    jjhammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cool Locking lugnuts??

I have new wheels and tires on my Cat and would like to lock them up but am having a hard time finding locking lug nuts for this Cat. Anyone have them-and if you do where can I purchase them at? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: Locking lugnuts??

Quote Originally Posted by jjhammer View Post
    I have new wheels and tires on my Cat and would like to lock them up but am having a hard time finding locking lug nuts for this Cat. Anyone have them-and if you do where can I purchase them at? Thanks!
    I googled "locking lug nuts for cars", lots of stuff came up.

Yeah I already tried that creeker. Lots of stuff does come up but not much that is relevant to the catera. Murrays does not carry anything, same with AutoZone. Maybe someone with a little more experience can answer. Thanks!

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Search Locking Lug Bolts SAAB, on ebay and there are 2-3 kits that come up, those fit our cars with no issues... same length and size bolts...

THey cost around 30$, not sure if thats shipped or not but thats all 20 bolts and a tool... and I think 4 valve stems too...

Good luck...

Cool Re: Locking lugnuts??

Thanks for the help! I will check on Ebay. Sure hate to have those wheels stolen.

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thumbs down Re: Locking lugnuts??

Locking nuts are complete garbage.

The matching sockets always jump and make it simply impossible to torque the nuts properly. Often the matching sockets get stuck on the nut and are nearly impossible to get off again.

They're also only good for a few uses before they get stripped. Especially if a mechanic uses an impact gun to remove and/or install them.

They also don't provide any security what so ever unless the thief is a complete retard. A lug nut remover will get them off as easily as if they were a normal nut. Any crook with half a brain will have one.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

You can get McGard locking bolts at most retail outlets, and they are made in your Good Ole USA. I just installed a set on my 97 Catera (Model # 27179). I've used them on almost every car I've owned with no problem regarding striping etc. Just remember to tell your garage that 80l bs. torque and thats all, no impact wrench. Brian

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

i thought the cats required 100lbs for the lugs?

Hello again. No, I checked my owner's manual and shop manual and they both agree on 80 lbs. My shop did the same thing and I had one hell of a time getting my wheels off. I ended up using a Johnson bar. Man did they give a crack when they came off. Cheers, Brian

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

There is a big difference in durability between good nuts (Gorilla and the one mentioned above) vs cheap ones. The cheap ones do wear out and slip. I think the depth of the groves is the key to durability. It has been a while since I looked at some.

Smile Re: Locking lugnuts??

If you really want to keep those rims I would spend the extra on McGards. Here in Canada they cost me about $65.00, but they have key replacement service after you register them (not free of course). They also sell matching wheel bolts. No I'm not on commission to them, but like I said I've used them for lots of years and never had any problems. Regards, Brian

Pabrown210 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

You can take locking lug nuts off several ways, but please know that without the key you may cause damage to the rims. Most shops will take a socket one size smaller than the lug nut and hammer it on/over the lug. This will force the lug nut to form to the new shape and size allowing grip when attempting to remove it. There are special kits out there, but never around when you need them the most. I own a roadside assistance service in San Antonio, Texas and encounter locking lug nuts day in and day out. I urge each and every customer to remove the locking lug nuts and replace them with regular OTC lug nuts from AutoZone. Locking lug nuts will only slow a thief down, because if they really want your rims - they will take them regardless.

Gorilla locking lug nuts use the same key that can be ordered effortlessly, and the key is thin walled which breaks very easily. If you lose the key, or the key breaks, and your on the side of the road - if the provider is incapable of removing the locking lug nuts you looking at a long expensive day.

Have any questions, shoot me an email at info@ezlockout.com .

Paul Brown
    Owner
    EZ Lockout & Roadside Service
    2819 Woodcliffe St.
    San Antonio, Texas, 78230
    (210) 598-7300
    www.ezlockout.com

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Warez View Post
    Locking nuts are complete garbage.

The matching sockets always jump and make it simply impossible to torque the nuts properly. Often the matching sockets get stuck on the nut and are nearly impossible to get off again.

They're also only good for a few uses before they get stripped. Especially if a mechanic uses an impact gun to remove and/or install them.

They also don't provide any security what so ever unless the thief is a complete retard. A lug nut remover will get them off as easily as if they were a normal nut. Any crook with half a brain will have one.

"Retard?"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.