Help Me Jack This Cat!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Help Me Jack This Cat!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had this 2000 Catera for a few months now-My old ride was a Minivan Still have it but ...
    jjhammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cool Help Me Jack This Cat!!

I have had this 2000 Catera for a few months now-My old ride was a Minivan Still have it but would like to drive the Cat More! My problem is that the Cat sits low and it hurts to get in the vehicle-my one knee is bad. Anyway I was wondering what would be the easiset and cheapest way to raise this cat up about two inches? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the suspension and springs. I also do not want to create any problems with the ride by doing this. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Help Me Jack This Cat!!

With what you mentioned, there is not way to do this without compromising the ride or spending good money of springs. It's a low car, you should buy a deville

whosazso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

I too have a problem getting in. However, the Catera has a tilt steering wheel. I don't need it in the "up" position to get out but I put it up anyway because when I go to get in, I grab the wheel and use it to lower myself into the seat.

This keeps me from sliding down the door post which has a HEAVY rubber seal. Because it's rubber, the slide is awkward and I figure it's no good on my clothes or the door trim.

Perhaps the tilt steering wheel will assist you too either that or the handle at the top of the door frame.

It was aimed at a younger generation. Perhaps you're already grown out of this generation?

Cool Re: Help Me Jack This Cat!!

Well, over the years I have grown quite a bit! From a svelte 160lbs to 200. Maybe if I lost weight? LOL Like that will happen! anyway my one leg-knee gives me problems which makes getting into a car low to the ground painful. Maybe I will check into an Allante-Not sure how much higher they are. Otherwise I might look into replacing the springs and such to raise it just a hair. Thanks for the info!!

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

jjhammer -

As a proud owner of an Allante, I can tell you that the seating position is low! I can't compare it to the Catera, but I'd bet money the seating position is as low or lower.

I'd second Southern-Hospitality's idea, unless you want to throw in some hydraulics. A Deville might be right up your alley. If your knees are like twigs, pass on the Caddy that zigs!

In my experience the Allante is a little lower (being the sportier car)

But you can pick up a very nice 2000 and up deville with low K for less than $10,000. And the deville is THE cadillac.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Why not mount taller tires? That or trade for a used STS?

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ya, put some 26" Ghetto hoppers on it. That should bring you up to speed with the "cool Kid" generation... Shees.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I didn't mean larger wheels. I mean tires with taller sidewalls. The Catera uses a 225/55-16 as standard (the Sport uses 235/45-17). A tire with a 65 to 75 aspect ratio might lift the ride height to suit you better but with a sacrifice in handling due to the more pliant sidewalls.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have adjusted my seat and have a lot less trouble now. Probably just getting used to getting into a car again after driving in a Minivan for the past 8 years. What a difference in height when I drive the Minivan! Thanks Again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.