Dual Zone Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Dual Zone Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got a problem on my dual zone climate control. Basically... the passenger side is always blowing warm air even ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Dual Zone Problem

I got a problem on my dual zone climate control. Basically... the passenger side is always blowing warm air even though the temp knob is at it's lowest setting. It is very noticeable when comparing with the driver side vents. It does make grinding sound when I turn the temp knob. So it seems that the motor or mechanism that controls the valve cannot fully move! It does get hot when I turn the knob to the hottest setting.

Does anyone know what this part is called? Or has anyone ever had a similar problem that can give me some info on what interior parts I would have to remove in order to access this area that needs attention? Is this problem normally fixable or would they require a new part?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lakesidepark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Re: Dual Zone Problem

There are several posts here on this subject. The problem is usually a loose screw on the actuator motor shaft.

I did a quick search and pasted from someone else. However I remember there were even better instructions deeper (I fixed mine in 2006) with repair and even a suggestion to prevent it in the future. It's actually a quick fix, just hard to get to. I suggest a search on the forum for 'heater actuator' and 're-sync actuator" as you will have to tighten a screw and then use the re-sync procedure to get them back in proper position.

"They are little electric motors that rotate a lever to open and close the heat box and floor vents. I saw three of them of them on the passanger floor board near the floor tunnel towards the firewall on the inside of the Catera. If you have no heat anywhere, the problem probably isn't these actuators. Remove 3 plastic screws from the black panel under the glove box. You will see a pear shaped black cover against the transmission tunnel. Pull it off to reveal the passanger floor vent actuator if you don't have heat on the passanger floor. You can remove the two screws to remove it and check to see that it moves when you switch the passanger floor heat on. You will see two other round silver & black actuators above this one. I believe the one on the tunnel activates the floor vents on the driver side, you can feel the lever move with your finger on it when you activate the heat on the drivers side with your other hand. The third and highest activator that is on the firewall side opens the heat box I believe, you can see the lever move up and down when you turn the heat on and off. Note that it is possible that these actuators are moving but out of allignment and not pushing the levers that they are supposed to."

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.