Redline!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Redline!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So what is the highest recorded RPMs that you have seen on your car!? The other day my tach needle ...
    CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Talking Redline!!!

So what is the highest recorded RPMs that you have seen on your car!?

The other day my tach needle hit the 7000RPM mark... go figure!!! what happened to the rev limiter...

So I was on an entrance ramp onto a highway... and the ramp is a two lane... makes a left then a soft right and merges into the highway, halfway down the ramp there is another lane from the opposite side mergin in so for a brief moment there are 3 lanes total...

So I took off at the traffic light behind this Riced out Civic... and we were both in the right lane but for whatever reason the cars up ahead didnt quite accelarate as fast... so the left lane cleared... I snuck in there passed the civic and the truck in front of it.. .and then snuck back in the right hand lane... the car was in 2nd gear... as I started up the hill into the first left turn.. i was passing the crowds in the left lane quite fast... and at the first merge with the other lane there was a semi entering.... so I let off a bit, now this whole time I am watching the civic in the rear view... the guy is trying to keep up with me... and for a split second I noticed an opening and decided to sneak between the semi and some sort of a van... in the left lane... seemed dangerous but I was already crankin 5000rpms... and the car was ready to shoot off... so what I do... flat out WOT... the car zipped between the two and at that point I started thinking as to why it hasnt upshifted yet????... look down to find the RPM needle pegged at 7000+rpm... and was like ohhhuuuu sh*t!!!... so I pop it in third and then just open road ahead... got up to 80... and slowed down to merge into the highway traffic...

Later it got me thinking... first why didnt the trans shift into 3rd gear... its not a hydraulic trans its an electronic and it should have known better then that... and also what the heck happened to the rev limiter at 6500?...

Now the car pulled like crazy all the way to whatever rpm it got... with no drop in power... BTW i lost the civic... somewhere in the crowds... the guy just couldnt keep up...
    But then I was like.. .welll 7000rpm... in fact my scan gauge showed 7172RPM... whcih seemes a bit high... and I kinda wish that I hadnt seen that thing but...? now it worries me that this could have caused some damage to the internals... and this can show sooner or later... my friend spun crankshaft bearings from high rpms like that... but hope the caddy was built to take that kind of abuse...

anyways the question is... ? what is the highest RPMs that you have ever seen on your car...

Ahh and I wanted to mention that you can do WOT runs after 70mph without worring that the car will try to downshift into 2nd gear...

For passing I just pop it in sport mode (car downshifts into 3rd)... then I pop the selector into 3rd to prevent upshift into 4th gear... and I wait for the torque converter to lock up... at which point when you are ready to fly you WOT... and the car goes from 70-90 in just a few seconds... most of the time by the time you let off you are at least 5-6 car lengths ahead...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Re: Redline!!!

i've hit the 7k line a few times, i never take it up to that when up against a civic, but against mustangs, camaros, n all that a few times. red line is 6.5k but i believe the limiter is set right at 7k, maybe a little higher with what you read on your gauge? Maybe it was just getting ready to cut back on the fuel.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Well, I was just having a blast feeling the Gforces from the turn... and hearing the thunder from my exhaust... and something about the sound of the engine just didnt feel right... as if it wnet quiet after that 6500rpm... and then I guess the car stopped accelarating at that point.... cuz I popped 3rd and kept on going but got me wondering why 7000rpms... I think all the specs on the internet call out for a redline of 6500RPM...

Assuming this can be duplicated I guess... this thing will happen in 1st gear as well... with the difference that when I did that in first the car shifted in second gear at the proper time... I was drifting around a turn and being in 1st gear as soon as I bounced off the limiter the trans did me the favor and went to second gear... giving me even more tire spin... but didnt think that it will hold 2nd gear without shifting into third...

now.. I guess if I was in sport mode then it would have been a whole different story right?

Ohh btw the civic was some sort of a B18 or something SIR... whatever the heck that means... I assumed it was fast but proved to be wrong... considering how I blew him out of clear water...

And btw our cars are not that fast at almost 4000lbs and 200hp... those little civics are around 2700lbs with 150-160hp... and I guess one can spank you real bad...

My car improved most of the power on the last dyno except at the peak... where it was still climing but the dyno cut out at 6000...

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

the redline and fuel cutoff are two very different things in german cars. germans pull their cars INTO the red line and then shift, most american cars shift right before or right at redline because that's where fuel cutoff it. I always do the first 3 gears by "pop shifting" when I need to get the most out of my car, so the sport mode really gives no service to me,..... the car corners better than any other american or jap car out there easy, making it tons of fun. with all that said it also makes a good drift car, rwd, just enough horsies to spin the tires and the excellent handling to control your drift (or as much as you want to.... =] ) I had a v6 accura a 2.5 lengths the other night befor I hit 60 and pulled off, so it's not too terribly bad, just a little slow off the line, but i'll be hooking up a small shot to fix that...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.