2nd problem of the day
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2nd problem of the day in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; While getting the snows mount I was shown the two broken rear springs. I was told that it appears they ...
    kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2nd problem of the day

While getting the snows mount I was shown the two broken rear springs. I was told that it appears they have be broken for a long time. Has anyone had the rears springs replace and if so, am I going to have to sell another body part?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2nd problem of the day

You're talking about how bad Catera's are but in reality you bought a lemon. That car has been driven to shit if the springs are toast.

But take a look at it yourself the mechanic could be trying to screw you.

I saw the broken springs with my own eyes. The car has to lifted and you have to run your hand along the springs to feel for the break and then you can see it. One break was on the pan side of the spring so it was even harder the find. And as for driving the car like shit, my wife drives to caddy and I drive a truck and when the weather is warm a MR2 Spyder.

When was the last time that anyone has lifted their car up and manually felt both rear coil springs for breaks?

It is not hard to buy a lemon when they all are.

My wife drives the car and doesn't hammer it at all. Just goes to work with it. I drive a truck and when the weather is nice a MR2 Spyder.

I saw both broken springs. You have to run you hands along the springs to find any breaks. One break was in the spring tray and hard to see.

As anyone here actually had the car lifted up and felt the rear springs for breaks? Since both are broken the car still sits level

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

i believe he was referring to the previous owner. I guess my family lucked out, i've owned 2 cats, my dad 1, and my bro 1. Plus my gf just bout one, and none of them were lemons..... They did exceptionally well for 10yo cars. My mom's 97 mercedes sl500 has plenty more issues......

dadenkern is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

2001 non-sport w/ 148,000 miles

I have replaced both rear springs over the last 4 years (purchased in 2004). The first spring revealed itself as I was backing out of the driveway and heard when sounded like a wrench hitting the floor. It turned out to be the first 1.5 coils of the right rear spring. I replaced with with a $20 spring from a junkyard. The left spring just recently did the same thing. I actually picked up the other spring from the same junkyard and also ordered a set of rear shocks. I plan on installing both shocks and the spring this weekend.

The spring replacement procedure was not difficult.

Even with ~1.5 coils broken the spring would never pop out.

Thanks.

I will bet that there are more out there that are driving Cateras with broken springs. My breaks are on the first and 2nd coil. Called dealer and was quoted a price of $486 for each spring!!!!!. Looks like I am going junk yard shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    It is not hard to buy a lemon when they all are.

My wife drives the car and doesn't hammer it at all. Just goes to work with it. I drive a truck and when the weather is nice a MR2 Spyder.

I saw both broken springs. You have to run you hands along the springs to find any breaks. One break was in the spring tray and hard to see.

As anyone here actually had the car lifted up and felt the rear springs for breaks? Since both are broken the car still sits level

OH, so you bought it brand new? Exactly, I never said you drive it like shit.

No not brand new. I was a caddy reps car. After I bought it and the problems started my caddy dealer pulled up a repair report. I new then that I had problems.

You ( being forum people ) are correct to say the car has some very nice attributes. If I am going to get into a crash, this is the car I want to be driving! But if I am going on a long trip, I will take my Spyder. Not as comfortable as the caddy, but much more reliable. And isn't that the most important feature for a car to have?

OBTW, my daughter drives a Cobalt and it does have power windows and locks! Hers is pretty much problem free, but she did buy the extended warranty.

Right, and that cobalt is 9 years old?

What year is your MR2? And an MR2 is not a car I would take anywhere (lack of trunk space and shitty ride)

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

for the price i paid for my cat, i would be crankin windows on a cobalt i'd pay for new... Just like my 67 delta 88. I'd trust my cat to take me anywhere, drive to see some old friends in California, then to see my brother in Huston, down to Florida to see my cousin whom i consider my brother, and back to where i live in Indy.... i put 26k miles on my last cat in one year and only thing was valve cover gaskets and an alternator (because my aftermarket systems were too much for the original).... I just think you've been having really bad luck with your find..... And i'd NEVER buy a cat from a dealership. Dealers hate them, so instead of fixing them right, they try to make quick fixes and flip them...

Cobalt is an 06.

And the Spyder is debaged! And a roadster sports car with excellent handling, fantastic gas mileage, great reliability, and a real head turner! Where ever I go the car turns heads. Was never sold in Canada until this summer. Even boxster drivers have no idea what it is. People constantly stop and ask what type of car it is. The car has no performance mods, just appearance mods.

You really can't compare the cars. One is a luxury car and the other is a sports car. About as different as two cars can be!

jjhammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I need to replace my rear shocks and was thinking if there is an easy and inexpensive way to lift this car up 2-3 inches? Has anybody replaced the rear air shocks? Wondering how difficult it will be. Thanks!

I imagine that it will cost alot if you take it to the dealer. You might want to find someone who can do the work on the side and buy the parts yourself. But that might be risky to do if you don't have a track record with the person.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.