Should I buy a Cimarron?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Should I buy a Cimarron? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, a little backstory... A little car lot near my home has a 1986 Cadillac Cimarron for sale. It has ...
    billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Should I buy a Cimarron?

So, a little backstory...

A little car lot near my home has a 1986 Cadillac Cimarron for sale. It has literally been sitting on the lot for at least two years (I've been tracking it online and driving by every few days, almost stalking it). Of course every week or so it gets moved. It is a V-6 with an automatic transmission, and looks in excellent condition. One owner (CarFax confirmed - looked it up during my monthly access), and appears to have some very minor front end damage, almost not noticable unless you're looking for it. Oh, and odomete reads "Error" on the digital dash, so no way of knowing the actual miles, but from the condition of the interior I'd guess <100K.

They originally wanted $3500 for it. Overpriced. Then, they dropped the price to $2500, which it stayed at until a few days ago. Now, aparently desperate to make a sale, they have dropped the price to $795.

I would be buying this car mostly as a joke; the "failed experiment" appeals to me. It certainly wouldn't be an investment. It would just be an interesting car that you don't see too often on the roads. Even if I payed what they are asking (I plan on talking them down, after all it's been sitting there for a LONG time; I'm doing them a favor!), the money wouldn't be an issue.

So, the real question, is $800 too much to spend on a little joke like this? Your feedback is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Re: Should I buy a Cimarron?

$800 is an expensive joke to me! I bet you could find a hand buzzer online for less than $10. Go pick up a Get Smart movie if you're looking for laughs.

Now, it sounds like you've been eyeing this for a while and have an interest in owning this unique vehicle. I say do it, $800 and some pampering would make a sweet lil ride. I wouldn't mind owning one, of course, I don't know squat about them.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Offer 5C, pay 6C and donate it to charity when you get tired of it.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

conquestofak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac Cimarron

Thumbs up Re: Should I buy a Cimarron?

OH YA !!! It all comes down to cost versus reward, check out my saga on the only other posting on this site about a Cimarron. The engine and transmission parts for these cars are pretty much free at junkyards and an entire head gasket set with bolts was 115 bucks, CHEEP! the only problem I have found has been with body parts but I got lucky and mines perfect.
    I get alot of second glances from people on the road because they see a cavalier but the paint is awesome and the trim is clean the car is slung a little lower and all that, I Love my new Hoopty!
    Id say show up at the dealership with a car dolley and 100 bucks! Tell them no questions asked and tow it off!

conquestofak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Cadillac Cimarron

I just reread your question and I didnt really answer it. The odometer error could be Very important! My car was a one owner as well with 99755 last week the interior seats are a mix plush /velour and Pleather? I guess? Anyway at 100,000 the WHOLE interior is Perfect so is the paint body and trim. BUT the engine had two blown head gaskets and appeared to be still running before it was stored for many years..........Moral of the story you could have a very sweet looking $600 car that will need a $200 parts bill but about 10 to 14 hours labor cost. (I put a lot extra into mine because it is mine)!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.