Valve Cover Gaskets - Uh Oh
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Valve Cover Gaskets - Uh Oh in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well oil is leaking into one of my spark plug wells soaking the spark plug boot. I decided to order ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Valve Cover Gaskets - Uh Oh

Well oil is leaking into one of my spark plug wells soaking the spark plug boot. I decided to order the valve cover gasket set online. This is the exact set I got:

http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/au...d=FEL-VS50566R

As shown on the pic are the valve cover gaskets, along with small little o-rings which I'm guessing are for the bolts. The o-rings are around the same size as the circle logo on our catera key.

I was also expecting the big circular gaskets for the spark plug wells (Spark Plug Tube Gasket)..but they don't seem to be included! I know 4 cylinder engine require these... but I don't have much experience with V6's. Can someone verify that the Catera engine does not require these circular gasket??

I really need to know this before I start tearing the engine apart....

Thanks Guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Valve Cover Gaskets - Uh Oh

No other gaskets of seals are needed, you have everything.

Most of these aftermarket gaskets are made of a very cheap material that hardens and quickly starts leaking again. It took less than a year for my non-oem gaskets to start leaking after I had replaced them; and it was much worse than with the original gaskets.

This summer I removed the covers again and layed a bead of the orange silicone sealant around the whole perimeter of the cam cover, placed the old gasket on top and then layed another bead on top of that.

The orange high-temp instant gasket maintains is physical properties very well over time. I doubt it will leak again any time soon.

frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I will try this orange silicone u speak of. Thanks for the input!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Don't forget to clean the crankcase breather or pressure will build up and blow oil past the gaskets again.

From the Omega Owners Forum (UK):

See the black plastic bit on middle of plenum - it has a logo on it? This is a thin cover, flick off (just the cover, not the whole plastic bit, to reveal a screw. Remove this screw, and the 2 you can see on the plastic leading to throttle body. Mark and remove the 4 rubber pipes at back of this plastic bit, then remove the plastic bit and thoroughly clean in with carb cleaner.

Those 4 pipes you removed? The 2 outside ones join and go off to a 'breather box' behind left bank (looking from front) - passenger side for you boys who drive on wrong side Wink. Remove this rubber pipe, and clean with carb cleaner.

One of the little rubber pipes also goes to this breather box, clean this as well. Where it enters breather box, there is a tiny hole. Make sure this is clear - but don't insert a pin too far.

Remove the throttle bodies, and clean with carb cleaner.

Refit is reverse method, renewing any gaskets that are past their best.

Useful threads related to the gaskets and breather:
    http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....ad.php?t=63628
    http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....light=breather

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.