'99 with issue after issue, and still more... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, '99 with issue after issue, and still more... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You seem to be missing that this is a $35,000 not a very expensive luxury car. North american cars break ...
    Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: '99 with issue after issue, and still more...

You seem to be missing that this is a $35,000 not a very expensive luxury car.

North american cars break after you hit 140kms, They do this so you have to keep buying them.

If you want it to last longer spend your money on an Audi or VW.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Non smoker's car. Ashtray a better coin holder than the door.

Yes I take very good care of the car. I'll give you brake cause, but what about two rear springs breaking at a replacement parts cost of $1000 for a pair! Or the abs module, or leaking fuel filter, or the broken driver's door check. Those are all quality manufacturing issues and not how you drive the car or take care of it.

Or the electrical issues with the headlight switch, seat memory, and sunroof operating by itself. All manufacturing issues.

Take the radio, speakers, and trunk mounted cd changer. All have worked perfectly from day one. Why? Not made by GM.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

parts always rack up a bill if they're comming from germany.... like i said, opel, not gm. and i haven't had any of those problems with our cats. Say what you like, but my treats me good. an occasional issue, but i replace and move on. if i didn't want to deal with an issue or two with a 10yo car, i wouldda bought a cobalt with factory warrany and hand crank windows......

Quote Originally Posted by AHazzardToAll View Post
    price reflects bad advertising, and the fact that the catera project fell through. I'm glad it did or my cat would have cost me A LOT more. Good price for a really nice car. And if it's so crappy how'd it win car of the year several years in a row in europe? The catera was pushed on cadillac by gm, cadillac didn't even want it at first, and they never took it seriously. I mean, a duck? The caddy that zigs? Sounds like someone went home and asked their 11yo daughter to make up the logos for them......

Check out the real winners in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Car_of_the_Year

I don't see any version of the Catera on the list

i see opel several times on that list showing the companies reliability, Omega (catera) specifically to 95. If you go to Europe you'll see opel's EVERYWHERE, taxis and all. They wouldn't make an unreliable car a taxi.... We had a guy staying at our house from Hungary and he loved the car. My dad's an international pilot and when he talks to people about our cats overseas they're shocked to know they aren't loved over here like they are there. They just have a bad rep, that's it.

http://www.10facts.com/article/Autos...pel-Omega.html

And if it's so crappy how'd it win car of the year several years in a row in europe? The catera was pushed on cadillac by gm, cadillac didn't even want it at first, and they never took it seriously.
    Where is the Opel/Catera the car of the year several times? I see Opels listed, but never as car of the year and the ones listed are completely different models

I'll admit, i must have gotten my info wrong. But the opel omega was listed which is our car. But arguing about this isn't doing anyone any good,..... so i put my 2cents in, i'll shut up now. all i know is that i've never had a problem with the 5 cats we've owned.....

I envy your good luck!

whosazso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

If you have coolant in your oil, the inside of your oil cap should be foamy. More likely oil in the coolant.

iiF3LiXii is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A GM built in Germany, what did ya expect? I honestly dont think the catera is a bad car at all. It has its problems, maybe more then some others but everything is fixable. Most of witch at reasonable cost considering your buying parts for a BMW designed 3.0L, or the English made Trans. Ya bought a CADILLAC!!! A car that requires some Special Cadillac "J" tools for a lot of repairs. Labor is very plentiful for removals and installations. Common, ya knew what you were buying right? A beautiful euro designed GM with the interior of mature Cadillac style, witch scores very high statistically. Capable of doing all my repairs I personally score the sedan Highly. Performance is commendable for its engine size vs weight. Gets out of the way that's for sure.

iiF3LiXii is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wink Re: '99 with issue after issue, and still more...

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    I envy your good luck!

I to have not had nearly as many problems with my 99 sport as listed here. Dont get me wrong the car has had plenty of repairs. I bought the car from a customer witch has been the only owner until me. All his history is available. Things like coils, plugs, IAC, Vacuum Leak, along with scheduled maintenance. Now at 150k I need to replace the MAF. The sensor is reading 0.00 g/s and has no fluctuation wit revs. Also runing a little ruff at idle. Going from A to B so comfortably makes up for things like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.