Stalling Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Stalling Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 99 Catera has always had an " attitude " with me. About a year ago my car stalled and ...
    AwfulSmokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

Stalling Catera

My 99 Catera has always had an " attitude " with me. About a year ago my car stalled and wouldn't even turn over when restarting. It happened randomly over the year. The car would stall and you would get nothing until it dropped below the middle line of the water temp. It always started when dropping below the line. I assumed it was the starter. The past few months it has changed and have been trying to get to the bottom of it.

Now it will randomly stall more often. But now it will turn over but not start. It always starts when it cools off and runs normally. It gives no warning it just pfttts and stalls. No noises. It will not restart until it cools off.

I am in need of a new ebtcm and will be changing it soon. This kind of sounds like the camshaft position sensor to me, but i am not sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AwfulSmokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

Re: Stalling Catera

i meant to say crankshaft position sensor.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The Crankshaft Position Sensor will cause the engine to quit and allow starting after a cooling period. Read the sticky thread re: "Known Problems" for more on the CPS. It's a relatively cheap and easy repair as Catera fixes go. Even if it isn't the true problem it fails often so consider it insurance.

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

I agree with Elvin, the stalling sounds like the CPS. Regarding the no crank problem, I would look closly at the positive battery cable, my experince was high resistance in the cable lug itself. It looked good but had a .6 voltage drop and was hot as hell to the touch. Bottom line , high resistance that aslo contributes to a poorly charged battery. The alt was working like hell to push current through the cable.....

Quote Originally Posted by AwfulSmokey View Post
    My 99 Catera has always had an " attitude " with me. About a year ago my car stalled and wouldn't even turn over when restarting. It happened randomly over the year. The car would stall and you would get nothing until it dropped below the middle line of the water temp. It always started when dropping below the line. I assumed it was the starter. The past few months it has changed and have been trying to get to the bottom of it.

Now it will randomly stall more often. But now it will turn over but not start. It always starts when it cools off and runs normally. It gives no warning it just pfttts and stalls. No noises. It will not restart until it cools off.

I am in need of a new ebtcm and will be changing it soon. This kind of sounds like the camshaft position sensor to me, but i am not sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This will cost you about $250 at a good mechanic.

Anytime it stalls, leave the key in the on position for ten minutes. It'll put the car in safe mode (2nd gear) and it will run for a little while. Get it fixed it becomes a real bitch later on.

rruff98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

yea mine will start up and stall right away will crank position sensor cause it? thannks

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Happened to me CPS. However only a $140 fix and that was at the Caddy dealer.

rruff98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

is this for my issue? i mean it will start and not hold the rpm and stall right away?

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rruff98 View Post
    is this for my issue? i mean it will start and not hold the rpm and stall right away?
    Sounds symptomatic of CPS issues

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.