98 catera lossing cooloent HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 catera lossing cooloent HELP! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey guys any help with this probblem would help me alot so here we go the other day i go ...
    titan175 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

98 catera lossing cooloent HELP!

hey guys any help with this probblem would help me alot so here we go the other day i go to take my car to work and the rad light was on so i stoped and checked to coolent level there was barly any gone past the level so i put some water in and drove my car the rest of the week ignoring the light. the other day i desided to take a look at it the first thing i checked was the oil cause i thought maybe the head gasket had went but it is not that also my car does not lack any power so it ca be the head gasket just yet. secondly i checked the water pump so i pulled of the rad hose and coolent was pumping through like it should be. also i think that would cancel out the option of the thermostat to would it not ?. thridly i put the pressure test to it and it held the presure althought when i looked under the car there was some sign of looent by the oil filter but this could be caused by me when trying to tll up the coolent or it could be the cause of a leaky hose but if this was the case the how did all omy coolent leak out so fast. the final thing i thought it may be was the aux water pump on the left side under the cooent jug this is because yes it does take a while for the car to over heat maybe 10-15 mins this would let the car get to operating temp. and the job of the aux water pump is to come on around 212f i do beleave. but in my cause i unplugged it a few months go becuse when it would get the operating temp the pump would kik in and short out the radio so now with it unplugged it lets the radio play. i did this because i wastold this pump was not nessasary and it was just for emissions because of the european standards.
    i may be wrong about some of the things i have tried so feel free to correct me it will help find out the root of the probl thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steinmetz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 98 catera lossing cooloent HELP!

check the hoses behind the engine, it may leak in to the heater... reg fault on this car

callingmonroe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

if your level is staying the same and not overheating but the light is on to the tank then it is the sensor for the tank. Don;t worry about it mine has been broke for years. It's about a 200 dollar tank so not worth it. But yes if it is leaking check the hose, this is a problem I experienced also. Also on the pump, I relaced mine with the same problem and yes it did blow the radio. So I did get a brand new one at cost, cause I have a friend that work at a caddy dealer.

MacDaddyCaddyCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My coolant-level sensor broke years ago too. To turn off the light on the dash just unplug the only electric connection attached to the bottom of the coolant reservoir tank (a bit hard to reach under there, but small hands can do it) and stick the ends of a bent paperclip into each of the two plug sockets (on the plug end on the wire side, not under the tank, duh...)

I also have a coolant problem here

thanks guys but that wouldnt explain why it is burning coolent? i looked it all over last week and there is no leak for sure so what could it be i dont think i sensor would do this ?

i went out tonight and found something that may help solve the problem. like i said before it was leaking beside the oil filter well i traced it up the engine and it seems to be leaking beside wear the exuast goes into the lower manafold but it doesnt look like the coolent it looks like oil so were could this be coming from because why would oil be coming out of the manafold

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sounds like a Oil cooler/coolant leak to me. I currently have the same issue.
    Could someone post the link to the detailed repair of the oil cooler for us? There was a lot on here about it last spring but I am having search trouble I guess.

My car started out leaking a sip and now 6 months later spews a gallon of water (yup running striaght water due to the mess in my garage) after a 15 minute drive. Funny thing is it seems to pump it all out after being shut off.

Could this be due to the pump still running (electric ones) after shut off?

Also, Is it the o rings around the intake or the paper gasket that leaks?

I will be taking on this very soon as the temp is dropping and I don't want a
    Ice cube for a motor one morning!

Thanks

hey i found a perfect link and seems to be very helpful hope it helps but if it is the oil cooler why is it laking coolent ?????????http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63566

Caddy303 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine was losing coolant as well had to keep putting coolant in it come to fine out it was a bad water pump. Hope this helps

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.