Coolant Problem need help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Coolant Problem need help? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got my coolant flushed this July at Valvoline they said they don't put Dex-Cool in anymore because of the ...
    CaddyMD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Coolant Problem need help?

I got my coolant flushed this July at Valvoline they said they don't put Dex-Cool in anymore because of the recall. So they put in their Valvoline coolant. So after coolant flush and now today i noticed that my coolant was brown sludge. SO what do i do the Valvoline coolant must have caused the problem never had sludge before are they liable to fix the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Coolant Problem need help?

Any help guys i need to fix this fast?

thousandlegs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97-Catera

I don't know what to say. I would think that if they flushed the system before putting in the Valvoline then there would be no mixing and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by thousandlegs View Post
    I don't know what to say. I would think that if they flushed the system before putting in the Valvoline then there would be no mixing and no problems.

Well i took it back to Valvoline and they re flushed my coolant and put new in they use a red amber coolant. Then just now i go outside and look at it and it brown again. I checked my oil and its right below max where it should be and no white smoke out of tailpipe. Whats happening I drove the car like 25 miles how could it change that quickly. Last time it took like two months and now its instantly. Does it getting cold night have anything to do with it it seemed the first time it happening after it got cold during the night?

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

it may be the reminents of a failed or failing oil cooler. The oil cooler sits in the block emersed in coolant under the intake..

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyMD View Post
    Well i took it back to Valvoline and they re flushed my coolant and put new in they use a red amber coolant. Then just now i go outside and look at it and it brown again. I checked my oil and its right below max where it should be and no white smoke out of tailpipe. Whats happening I drove the car like 25 miles how could it change that quickly. Last time it took like two months and now its instantly. Does it getting cold night have anything to do with it it seemed the first time it happening after it got cold during the night?

catman'98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera '98

Oh-oh. This thread looks familiar. Not good.

Either Frank is right, or...you don't want to know what else it may be, so I won't say it. Let's hope he is right.

Foaming, sludgy coolant can only be one thing -- motor oil. I'll put it to you this way... there are only a few ways for motor oil to migrate into your coolant loop, or vice versa. It goes from bad to worse, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by frank moran View Post
    it may be the reminents of a failed or failing oil cooler. The oil cooler sits in the block emersed in coolant under the intake..
    Quote Originally Posted by catman'98 View Post
    Oh-oh. This thread looks familiar. Not good.

Either Frank is right, or...you don't want to know what else it may be, so I won't say it. Let's hope he is right.

Foaming, sludgy coolant can only be one thing -- motor oil. I'll put it to you this way... there are only a few ways for motor oil to migrate into your coolant loop, or vice versa. It goes from bad to worse, I'm afraid.

Well the only thing i dont understand if its oil then why when i checked my oil dipstick did it say right below max which is perfect level?Could my radiator be messed up?

frank moran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera, ..

it does'ent take much oil to get the problem you describe. If its trans fluid it could be the trans cooler in the radiator tank??? however, keep your eye on the engine oil level, what you could also do is get one of those cheap dye kits with the black light from Autozone. Put the dye in the crankcase, run it for awhile and view the coolent in the res with the black light. This will take the guess work out....

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyMD View Post
    Well the only thing i dont understand if its oil then why when i checked my oil dipstick did it say right below max which is perfect level?Could my radiator be messed up?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I searched car forums and newsgroups and read that Dexcool itself is fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuff will turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air. Mixed with green coolant or non-distilled water it changes chemical properties. It can turn into a gel that clogs the radiator, oil cooler (clinging to the fins), and heater core. It will destroy the corrosion inhibitors in the Dexcool allowing scale and rust to build.

Same thing if the coolant level is allowed to go too low in the coolant reservoir. Air can enter the cooling passages and contaminate the Dexcool with the same results. It was recommended to keep the reservoir filled to the HOT level even with a cold engine. Also, those drivers who do not get their vehicles up to normal operating temperatures every trip may want to consider changing the coolant more often.

Another reason for using Dexcool in our engines is that the gaskets coming in contact with coolant, including the head gaskets, are designed with Dexcool in mind. Other coolants will eat away the gaskets. Saving pennies on the non-Dexcool coolants will cost more in engine repairs later.

catman'98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera '98

Great post, Elvin...
    I think I'll change my own coolant in this Catera, when it needs it. There is no telling what kinda' crap they could 'accidently' put in there...and contaminate the entire system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.