Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Coolant Problem need help?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  catman'98 
#1 ·
I got my coolant flushed this July at Valvoline they said they don't put Dex-Cool in anymore because of the recall. So they put in their Valvoline coolant. So after coolant flush and now today i noticed that my coolant was brown sludge. SO what do i do the Valvoline coolant must have caused the problem never had sludge before are they liable to fix the problem?

#4 ·
Well i took it back to Valvoline and they re flushed my coolant and put new in they use a red amber coolant. Then just now i go outside and look at it and it brown again. I checked my oil and its right below max where it should be and no white smoke out of tailpipe. Whats happening I drove the car like 25 miles how could it change that quickly. Last time it took like two months and now its instantly. Does it getting cold night have anything to do with it it seemed the first time it happening after it got cold during the night?

#6 ·
Oh-oh. This thread looks familiar. Not good.

Either Frank is right, or...you don't want to know what else it may be, so I won't say it. Let's hope he is right.

Foaming, sludgy coolant can only be one thing -- motor oil. I'll put it to you this way... there are only a few ways for motor oil to migrate into your coolant loop, or vice versa. It goes from bad to worse, I'm afraid.

:ill:

#9 ·
I searched car forums and newsgroups and read that Dexcool itself is fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuff will turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air. Mixed with green coolant or non-distilled water it changes chemical properties. It can turn into a gel that clogs the radiator, oil cooler (clinging to the fins), and heater core. It will destroy the corrosion inhibitors in the Dexcool allowing scale and rust to build.

Same thing if the coolant level is allowed to go too low in the coolant reservoir. Air can enter the cooling passages and contaminate the Dexcool with the same results. It was recommended to keep the reservoir filled to the HOT level even with a cold engine. Also, those drivers who do not get their vehicles up to normal operating temperatures every trip may want to consider changing the coolant more often.

Another reason for using Dexcool in our engines is that the gaskets coming in contact with coolant, including the head gaskets, are designed with Dexcool in mind. Other coolants will eat away the gaskets. Saving pennies on the non-Dexcool coolants will cost more in engine repairs later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.