Oil Filter Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil Filter Leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, after changing the oil on the Catera i noticed it was leaking where the lid and the oil filter ...
    BlackonBlackCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oil Filter Leak

Hello, after changing the oil on the Catera i noticed it was leaking where the lid and the oil filter canister screws together. I have changed the oil filter many times before and always wondered why there isnt a seal between the lid and the canister but never had this problem. Has anyone here had this problem and what did you you do to stop the leak? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Re: Oil Filter Leak

I had this problem a week ago. Tho valvoline changed mine for me. What was weird is that it took almost a week for this to happen. One morning I went out to start my car and decided to check the air pressure in my tires. Once I got back around to the front of my car I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground. It looked like a couple quarts at least. So I panicked and ran to shut it off. It was leaking through the cap. So First things first I went out to buy a new filter and some oil and install the new one on with the new seal. Been fine ever since. I'm thinking they pinched the seal but can't figure out why it took a week to leak

what do you mean by seal? This filter is in a canister and has the lid that screws on. i want to think that there is a seal on the lid but i never saw one. Even in the past when i changed the fluid. thanks

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

every filter comes with a new seal. Its suppose to be replaced with the old one that goes on the cap.

lol...actually i just remembered that there is a big o-ring that goes around the canister lid. I didnt even look at it when i changed the filter. Obviously that would cause it. lol... thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.