yet another no crank issue, please assist
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, yet another no crank issue, please assist in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've read a few threads about this but I haven't come to any concrete list of troubleshooting I can do. ...
    Event3horizon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Exclamation yet another no crank issue, please assist

I've read a few threads about this but I haven't come to any concrete list of troubleshooting I can do. The problem essentially is that my 99 Catera will not crank or start at all (even though there is plenty indications of power) after it has been recently switched off. I have to wait 15-20 minutes so it can start again, OR, I have to use jumper cables from another car to give it extra juice so it can start. I can assure you battery and alternator is good. Battery is showing 12.5 V on my multimeter. It seems that it happens more often in hot weather (I live in Florida)

Its just an odd and intermittent problem, not sure where to start on the issue. This is renders the car VERY unreliable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ichroque is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000

Re: yet another no crank issue, please assist

12.5V is not that good. you should have at least 13V.
    I live in Puerto Rico. Here it's more hot than in Florida, i don't think this is the reason. But if, with hot weather it should be easier to start.

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Battery cable. Been there delt with that one. Drives you mad when you run into a gas station and then can't get your perfectly normal car to start. And I would remove the positive and neg. both. score them with a flat head and wire brush the crap out of them before replacing, but my money is on a voltage drop due to corrosion inside the positive cable.

99Blacklac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac Catera

Have you already changed the crank sensor? Common problem.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

+1 on the crank shaft position sensor. Cost me $186 for the repair.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

i got my cps for like 80bux new at o'rileys.... but i'd say corrosion in your positive line too, i've seen this more often in the 97 or 98, but just kind of squeze your line and see if it feels hallow or anything abnormal, if so cut it at that point to take a look, if it's fine just use electrical take to patch it back up. make sure it's disconnected from your battery firts of course.

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Crank shaft sensor would only be possibly the problem IF it cranked... This car won't attempt that correct? Total power loss upon turning the key was my batt. cable and terminal end. Try it out!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.