flywheel sourcing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, flywheel sourcing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Howdy, first time poster and forum noob. I am trying to find a bolt on flywheel for a 3.0 V6 ...
    malachi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

flywheel sourcing

Howdy, first time poster and forum noob.

I am trying to find a bolt on flywheel for a 3.0 V6 motor. I am making a new project and decided to go with one of these motors.

Here is what I am starting with:

1992 GEO Storm
    It currently has a an engine swap from a Oldsmobile Acheiva in it now. I used a Megasquirt ECM and built my own custom clutch from a Firebird. Car runs, but I decided to try something new.
    I picked up a 3.0 from a Saturn dealership some time ago with 60k. I have converted it over to the Catera intake so I could swap the intake inlet from the front of the motor to the rear of the motor to fit in my engine bay better. A lot of other small mods have been done for fitment.
    I am trying to decide if the COP from the Saturn motor or the coil pack from the Catera is better (read more reliable). I hope to incorporate both knock sensors, and the stock 60-2 trigger wheel.
    As I do not have the funds at this point to consider a twin turbo, I will be looking into a nitrous system once motor is fully running.

The big hang ups right now, are the flywheel and time.

The engine bolts up to my current transmission, and my stock Isuzu flywheel DOES bolt right up. However the crank diameter is smaller on the 3.0 and the Isuzu flywheel is a stepped design only ment to hold 160hp on a small 1.6 stock turbo engine. I can buy a fancier clutch to hold mrore power, but would prefer to just swap in a flywheel that has larger contact patch, and does not require a shim or hubcentric ring to center it. The only flywheels I have found were quite pricey and would require shipment from Europe.

This engine will hopefully be running on a Megasquirt V3 once I build it.

Finally, has anyone ever used a Megasquirt ECM on a Catera motor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MyOpel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Y57XE

Re: flywheel sourcing

the 3.2L motor (almost the same as the 3.0L) in the early CTS had a 5 speed manual as an option

Yeah that was what I was looking into. 2003-2004 came up in possible years for me to look at. After that I got a whole series of other transmission codes, and I doubted they would apply to me.

I'll try "car-part" and see what I find. I do not want to convert my car back to an automatic.
    This will make the 10th engine block installed into the car, and first of which to be a V6.
    All previous motors were I4, and most were turbo. The goal is just to try something that has never been done.

thank you very much for the fast reply. I wish i could find the crank shaft spec for the bore size to find out if it will fit or not. (prior to buying one)

Well the info above was 100% correct. The CTS does indeed bolt right up perfectly. It is a large flywheel though. Some sort of dual mass design.

I bought one brand new for only $65 from a GM parts liquidator.
    I had to change the intake around to face the oposite direction, I plan to use the Saturn style timing belt layout rather than the Caddy version.

I am machining out a spacer for the engine due to the thickness of the flywheel. So far things have gone very well in the thinking part of things.

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

Megasquirt is a wonderful SEM
    I run my 16vT VW on Megasquirt n Spark extra
    Don't forget an Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2

I cant say much about running a Catera engine on MS, but if its got a 60-2 crank trigger wheel you can use you'll be all set.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.