Door lock fuse keeps blowing?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Door lock fuse keeps blowing? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Folks, I'm having some electrical issues with my 99 Catera in which I hope someone can help. The primary ...
    Event3horizon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Door lock fuse keeps blowing?

Hello Folks, I'm having some electrical issues with my 99 Catera in which I hope someone can help. The primary problem is my door locks, fuel door, and tunk do not work when the car is turned on due to the door lock fuse 20A blowing everytime I turn ignition on. When I take this fuse out of course i the locks, trunk, fuel door don't work. But when I turn off the car and put a health fuse on it works.. until of course I turn on the ignition and it blows. This is very frustrating.

I've read about the Multi function control module and opened and inspected it and the cables on it but nothing seems odd. Fact is the first owner of the car replaced it around 47K miles (now it has 86K) So now would you think that its simply this module that is blowing the fuse? or something else.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Door lock fuse keeps blowing?

jeez is this question really hard or just no one really cares to respond?

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

u got me stumped..... i've never had a problem like that. if you have a friend with a cat i'd swap it and see if they work. you checked all the soder points? they're reallyy hard to see even if they went bbaad. that's the best I can throw out there for you.

thank you ahazard for the reply. I think the best thing to try is to replace that multifunction module again even though it has been replaced. I wonder if they go out more than once?? Somehow i'm skeptical that this is the problem. What i really need to get is a repair manual and study the cars electrical system so i can get to the root cause. I'll see.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Other GM cars would blow this fuse if tin foil or a dime were found in a lighter socket. Do all the cigarette lighters work? Have you removed the lighters and looked?

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Other GM cars would blow this fuse if tin foil or a dime were found in a lighter socket. Do all the cigarette lighters work? Have you removed the lighters and looked?
    Its an interesting tidbit, I checked the main lighter and it looks good and gives power to 12v accessories OK. I don't think there are any other hidden sockets i didnt see right?

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Event3horizon View Post
    Its an interesting tidbit, I checked the main lighter and it looks good and gives power to 12v accessories OK. I don't think there are any other hidden sockets i didnt see right?
    there is one on the back of the main center console, right under the rear passenger vents (between the rear heated seate buttons if equipped on ur car). and the 2000 and 2001 have another to the left of the e-brake.

alright well, i might have taken a shortcut fix, but i replaced the 20 amp fuse that kept blowing with a 30 amp and now all works fine. This car just has some BAD electrical issues.

ichroque is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000

I don't know if it's a good idea to replace a 20amp with a 30amp fuse. there is a reason why it's 20!!
    Which fusenumber is blowing?? #10?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Post back and let us know the extent of the dash fire.

ichroque is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.