Water leaking in Drivers side front floor?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Water leaking in Drivers side front floor? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It's not the common passenger side leak. Check my drain plugs on each side and there clear. My foam under ...
    jafo1994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville concours

Water leaking in Drivers side front floor?

It's not the common passenger side leak. Check my drain plugs on each side and there clear. My foam under the carpet on the drivers side was soaked. My AC vents on the bottom of the car are free and drain fine. Without tearing anything apart I can't find any leaks or plugs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Re: Water leaking in Drivers side front floor?

Sounds like a heater core issue

Not losing any antifreeze and it was water on the floor.

catman'98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera '98

Yep -- same thing happened to me last week. I started checking it out, because I was baffled. I thought I had left the windows down, because it had rained the night before. The windows were all sealed up shut. Weird.

This is what I found. The passenger side firewall is where the fresh air inlet is located. Air comes in through the vented plastic cover right below the windshield. Open the hood, lift the lower edge of the windshield rubber seal. Under that...you will find some plastic thumbscrew half-notch hitch bolts that hold the frsh air grill in place. Turn those a quarter turn and lift to remove them. Be sure to remove all of them, before you pry up on the grill. Remove the fresh air grill cover. Inside the cavity, you will find the fresh air filter box. Make sure it is all fastened down and none of the filter box tabs are broken. Mine were broken, and that allowed the air filter to fall forward and it was mangled in the shape of a 'V' (as in valley). It obviously had never been replaced. It was acting as a water funnel and routed every drop of water straight into the fresh air duct. That created a mess in my floorboard that extended all the way back to the rear floorboard. I replaced the cabin filter and bought a roll of heavy duty duct tape to hold the broken tab and filter box in place. Southern engineering at its finest!

Good luck!
    - Brad

Quote Originally Posted by catman'98 View Post
    Yep -- same thing happened to me last week. I started checking it out, because I was baffled. I thought I had left the windows down, because it had rained the night before. The windows were all sealed up shut. Weird.

This is what I found. The passenger side firewall is where the fresh air inlet is located. Air comes in through the vented plastic cover right below the windshield. Open the hood, lift the lower edge of the windshield rubber seal. Under that...you will find some plastic thumbscrew half-notch hitch bolts that hold the frsh air grill in place. Turn those a quarter turn and lift to remove them. Be sure to remove all of them, before you pry up on the grill. Remove the fresh air grill cover. Inside the cavity, you will find the fresh air filter box. Make sure it is all fastened down and none of the filter box tabs are broken. Mine were broken, and that allowed the air filter to fall forward and it was mangled in the shape of a 'V' (as in valley). It obviously had never been replaced. It was acting as a water funnel and routed every drop of water straight into the fresh air duct. That created a mess in my floorboard that extended all the way back to the rear floorboard. I replaced the cabin filter and bought a roll of heavy duty duct tape to hold the broken tab and filter box in place. Southern engineering at its finest!

Good luck!
    - Brad
    That would put water in the passenger side, mines in the drivers side only, or did you only have water in the drivers side? I already checked my cabin filter and yea it was the same thing and I did the same thing with duct tape previously, so that shouldn't be the problem.

catman'98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera '98

I had water on boths sides, but the car was sitting at an angle. Albeit, there was more on the passenger side. So, did you check the fresh air inlet? It only takes 10 minutes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.