Spark Plug Seal? Name!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Spark Plug Seal? Name!? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone know the proper term for the "spark plug tube seals" which are attached to the valve cover..preventing oil from ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Spark Plug Seal? Name!?

Anyone know the proper term for the "spark plug tube seals" which are attached to the valve cover..preventing oil from dripping in the spark plug tubes??

I recently noticed one of my spark plug tubes are filled with oil during my spark plug replacement. I'm trying to find this seal online, but is having difficulty finding it for I do not know the proper term for this seal.

Can somebody find it for me on:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog...TOKEN=74782206

if possible..

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sirmqc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Re: Spark Plug Seal? Name!?

Are you talking about the valve cover gaskets? These are the cause of oil in the sparkplug wells/holes. Search this forum for info - there is a link in one of the posts to instructions on replacing. And there is also info on cleaning the crank case vent to prevent pressure from building in the crank case - which is given as the cause of the leak in the first place.

umm i are these considered part of the valve cover gaskets?? Basically they are the O shaped seals that goes between the valve cover and spark plug tubes. I was thinking that valve cover gasket are just the gasket for the valve cover itself... just the one piece gasket that goes between the valve cover and the head.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Yep if I recall the O-rings are a part of the valve cover gasket set.

You could go to a parts store that has a kit in stock and check it out before you buy.

flossinon24s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

valve gover gasket sets will come with 4 gaskets and a whole bunch of o-rings

catman'98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera '98

Yep - just had to replace mine last week on a '98. Didn't need the 0-rings on this one. Felpro gasket kit was $44. Clean the seal facings on the head and valve covers before you insert the gaskets into the covers and reinstall. Make sure you use a little dab of high-temp gasket sealant where the gaskets bend 90 degrees. I didn't replace the intake/throttle body manifold O-rings, but recommend you get a set and replace them as well (since you'll have it off).
    Also, if you end up pulling the injector manifold, same recommendation there for those ring seals. I had to pull mine off, for better clearance while working on the valve covers. Be sure to clean the oil out of the ignition (spark plug) wires, too.

Sorry -- I couldn't respond to your private message...the site won't allow me to send PM's yet. I'm a newbie here.

Quote Originally Posted by frmg0014
    hey! You just posted on my thread regarding spark plug seal.
    You mentioned that u just recently replaced yours.

Currently, one of my spark plug tubes gets fillled with oil.

Did you give any symptoms when your spark plug seal was leaking oil in the plug tube?

Mine is currently bucking on moderate load acceleration. I'm hoping it's caused by my leaking spark plug seal and goes away when I replace it.
    Yes, I had symptoms...and I still have symptoms of the oil leaks causing damage. Eventually, if you don't fix it right away...it could burn out the distributor pack and THAT is a BUMMER. I think it did that to mine. I have misfire OBDII Pcodes on two cylinders. My next step is to replace the ignition (spark plug) wires. If that doesn't fix it, then I'll need to replace the distributor pack. Get it fixed right away, and don't forget to clean out the positive crankcase ventilation path, which may be the cause of the problem in the first place. If the pressure builds up in the crankcase, it can blow the seals on your valve covers. These Cateras need much tender loving care, and you have to be very familiar with working on them...and willing to do it yourself or pay someone else through the nose (so-to-speak). I'm learning that the hard way. I only paid $1,600 for this car, and now I know why!

One more thought here...
    I've seen MANY POSTS (here and on several other forums) about symptoms like yours , and none of them were due to the oil leaks. But, that does not mean you don't need to fix the oil leaks...because it definitely will cause other problems (if it's not the cause of your problem now).

Is your check engine light on, or has it been on recently?
    Does it come on when the symptoms occur?

I need a drink. Yes, need.

Quote Originally Posted by catman'98 View Post
    One more thought here...
    I've seen MANY POSTS (here and on several other forums) about symptoms like yours , and none of them were due to the oil leaks. But, that does not mean you don't need to fix the oil leaks...because it definitely will cause other problems (if it's not the cause of your problem now).

Is your check engine light on, or has it been on recently?
    Does it come on when the symptoms occur?

I need a drink. Yes, need.
    Nope! No codes whatsoever. I'm kinda wishing there was so I get an idea what's causing it. This problem only occurs on slight acceleration on the highway if I was going uphill or after slowing down, then speeding back up (generally anytime there is load on the engine). I say slight acceleration for if I press they gas pedal to a point that the transmisison downshifts, then it wouldn't buck since they engine wouldn't have much load I guess.

I bought a scanner which shows data from all sensors to my laptop which I'm just waiting for delivery. I'm hoping this will shed some light on my problem. In the meantime I will take care of this seal.. if I'm lucky, it may solve the problem *cross fingers*.

Suggest fixing those oil leaks, then take it from there. That, at least, will keep other problems from mounting up. And oh, btw, it is my distributor pack -- oil in the wells fried it.

Check out what a Cadillac Technician says about the MAF (Mass Air-flow Sensor):
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-purpose.html

You might try ping him and see what he says about your symptoms.
    The Catera experts need to join in and help you out on this one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.