Resonators/Muffler/Supertrapp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Resonators/Muffler/Supertrapp in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2001 catera sport. I've been considering doing something with the exhaust, just not sure yet. I am ...
    Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Resonators/Muffler/Supertrapp

I have a 2001 catera sport.

I've been considering doing something with the exhaust, just not sure yet.

I am rather confused though, I've read that the last "resonator" before the exhale is not the muffler... But the only resonator? and the two up further are dual mufflers?

Can someone clarify this for me? Maybe draw me a picture because it's blowing my mind haha.

If the final one is the resonator, what would you guy think of removing it and putting in a supertrapp pipe? Or any other ideas for a light fast exhaust?

I'm hoping for a little more performance, and some dropped weight, I have a race with a 323i coming up pretty soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: Resonators/Muffler/Supertrapp

Here you go bud...
    I would say keep the resonator there as it quiets down some nasty sounds... and jsut replace the ones upstream with lets say dynomax or magnaflow...

I got two cherry bombs to go in there.. 18" long 2"OD but was unable to put them on this weekend so will have to wait till later this week and I will post up some videos...

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What would you say about putting a Borla racing muffler in the place of the last resonator?

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Well it will become a tad bit louder but not too much the muffler i got gives off a sweet tone but its just too quiet for my personal taste, its almost identical from inside the car and from the outside it has a nice deep tone but near stock volume levels...

with something smaller it should sound a bit deeper but in a decent dB levels...

I am gonna experiment with the cherry bombs and see what kind of loudness I am gonna get ...

BTW go to [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ76tO8_Ppo"]YouTube - Steinmets Full Cat Back on my Omega - Catera[/ame]

or [ame="hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_gm90zDeV8"]YouTube - Steinmets Full Cat Back on my Omega - Catera[/ame]

Let me know what you think of it!, thats with a different Resonator from the european tuner Steinmetz

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

Here's my exhaust setup.

As you can see I have a dual exhaust SETUP. Technically it's a dual exhaust all the way back until the muffler. The muffler is designed for dual inlet and outlet applications and acts as 2 separate mufflers, although it's not. The pipe to the right is S bent because that's the only way to get a dual setup on a pre-2000 model [I'm sure] and there is a good amount of space to tuck a pipe between the rear bumper and bumper cover so it looks sleek.

The setup i chose was to remove the resonators and get new pipes all the way back. I used the Edelbrock SDT Series Muffler with Dual Inlet and Dual Outlet, as space is severely limited for a pair of single mufflers for each pipe.

Here I have the best and lowest priced tips that completed the look i want. The brand is low key but the tips are honestly perfect. Chrome 3A Racing Muffler Tips that are angle rolled work great. I was unavailable at the time the muffler guy was welding the hangers.

I wanted him to raise up the entire setup to "tuck" it under better, but I will have this corrected later as well as having my X-Pipe welded in. He said an X-Pipe would not fit but i did not challenge him even though i know one can be put in there.

Also, when i replaced my oil cooler I forgot to plug back in the rear intake plenum air valve that opens around 3000RPM. I plugged it back in yesterday and the POWER increase is NICE. Sport mode @ 60MPH, then floor it- the car squats down and takes off. I'm doing 80 in around 1.5 seconds. No joke. I LOVE IT. It has a nice deep sound to it and only annoyance is around 3000RPM or hard low gear acceleration it has a LOUD rattling sound. CERTAIN the pipes are not rattling though. BTW Good Luck with all your mods!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.