Bucking/Stumble - HEEEEEEELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Bucking/Stumble - HEEEEEEELP! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera. Recently, my car has developed a bucking/stumble which only occurs when the car is ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Bucking/Stumble - HEEEEEEELP!

I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera. Recently, my car has developed a bucking/stumble which only occurs when the car is "on load" while cruising on the highway.

For example, If I'm cruising at 60mph on the highway, and there is a slight uphill and I accelerate A BIT.. it will start bucking/stumbling while it's accelerating! The bucking/stumbling cannot be heard or seen on the tachometer. The engine sound is constant, and rpm does not drop or anything while this is happening. It can only be felt!

This will also occur if I had to slow down on the highway, and then accelerate back to speed again quickly. So pretty much anytime there is load on the engine!

So far I've changed my fuel filter, transmission fluid, and spark plugs.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I was really hoping it was the fuel filter, but unfortunately it's still happening after changing the fuel filter.

Has anyone experienced this issue? or has any ideas what it could be that's causing it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sirmqc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Re: Bucking/Stumble - HEEEEEEELP!

I recently had a similar symptom on my 98. I didn't neccesarily associate it wth "under load", but other than that, the same conditions - maintaining speeed anywhere from 45 - 65. And it was very suttle - I could definitely feel it, but I don't think it would be detectable to an observer outside the car. Mine started doing it infrequently, then got worse over a few weeks. For me, it was resolved by topping off the transmission fluid - it was about 1/2 to 1 quart low. At one point before resolving the problem, my transmission went into "limp home" mode after hard accel on the highway. Another symptom I had before any of this was a shudder and hard shift when shifting from D to R to P (when stopped of course).

I know you said you've changed your tranny fluid, but you may want to check it again - not an easy thing on these cars. I created a post several weeks ago with a way to check tranny fluid that I found to be a little easier and more reliable. Hopefully its just fluid level - or something else easy and cheap - and not the transmission failing. Good luck.

I just rechecked my trans fluid, and they are at the proper level. Another thing, this problem occured before changing my trans fluid, and is the reason why I changed it.

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

MAF sensor, mine was a whole lot worse, I couldn't get it over 35

Quote Originally Posted by Army_MP_From_MO View Post
    MAF sensor, mine was a whole lot worse, I couldn't get it over 35

did this happen only while the car was on load? My car drives fine ... absolutely normal on the sideroads. Highway is also smooth.. except in an event where I have to accelerate fast after slowing down, or accelerate on a slight uphill it begins to stumble.

Army_MP_From_MO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac

Yeah, at idle it was smooth. As soon as I backed her out and started up the hill she started kicking and misfiring. When I got her on the level road she ran ok. At the stop sign and give her gas it kicked again until up to speed then smooth. Level and downhill were sweet. I took her right to a shop down the hill and they hooked her up with a new MAF and she's back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Army_MP_From_MO View Post
    Yeah, at idle it was smooth. As soon as I backed her out and started up the hill she started kicking and misfiring. When I got her on the level road she ran ok. At the stop sign and give her gas it kicked again until up to speed then smooth. Level and downhill were sweet. I took her right to a shop down the hill and they hooked her up with a new MAF and she's back to normal.

ok i'll give it a cleaning and see if that helps... if not then i'll replace it. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.