nicks and scratches
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, nicks and scratches in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, My '99 Catera has a lot of nicks and scratches in the paint, and a little rust showing behind ...
    shakushinnen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

nicks and scratches

Hi,
    My '99 Catera has a lot of nicks and scratches in the paint, and a little rust showing behind the rear passenger's wheel. I don't really want to go for the whole enchilada, and get a paint job. Are there any alternatives that will do a decent job?
    Thanks,
    ....john

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

Re: nicks and scratches

go to your local autobody supply and buy some compound called Kleen Kut. get a nice variable speed buffer and a 9 inch rought cut pad and start buffing, low speed only. after you are done with the entire car, change pads to a fine cut pollishing pad and get some mguires color X and go over the whole car on again on low to medium speed. keep alot of microfiber towels close by to wipe off the slinging color X. dont worry about the sling from the Kleen Kut, it has no waxex in it at all, so it washes off with soap and water. i normally do a whole car with Kleen Kut then i wash the car with dish soap and water. hand dry, then hit with color X and buffer the car will look amazing. i would do it for you if you werent across the country from me!!! i just did my lincoln last week. it was full of scratches and swirls from my wife and kids using it like a rolling trash can so i couldnt take it anymore, i did the whole car, the paint looks like you could dive into it. the pics are dark with no flash but you can see the gloss and my paint is 15 years old original paint.

achapra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

Looks nice Jamies97Cat

Am I the only one who thinks the paint on the cateras suck? Maybe its just mine. The paint is chipping badly on the back of the car on the top of the long break light on the top of the trunk..... Looks like shit. I'm thinking about repainting my car a pearlescent white... :-o

arthur jack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS registered as new May 01

I had a 1992 Vauxhall Senator. I think they were sold in the US and Canada as Cadillac Catera. The rust around the rear wheel arches seems to be a common feature in that model and the subsequent one (Omega in Europe). I spent £1000GB ($2000 US) trying to fix it....Sell the car...the next problem you get is rain water in the boot ("trunk" in the US)
    Kind regards

Thanks Jamie,
    I appreciate the help.
    That's a beautiful car, the Lincoln. What year is it?
    What about the clear coat? I heard that there's clear coat, on top of the paint of the Catera
    ..... john

Hi Achapra,
    I have no complaints about the paint on my '99. The chips and scratches are just from 9 years of wear.
    .... john

Hi Arthur,
    But I LOVE this car....
    .... john

john my lincoln is a 93, the color is called deep jewel green, in the sun light it actually flip flops from a garden hose green to a bark blue, its factory paint, they used the same color on the 90's eddie bauer bronco's you can see the color change as you walk by it. the paint on my catera has some pits in the clear on the trunk and roof because it was parked under a cell tower for 3 months before i bought it and the tower has an eagle's nest at the top so they crapped all over the car and the acid in their crap burnt the clear. mine is gold though so its hard to tell in a picture the difference from when i got it to now, but i buffed the whole catera too, i have about 10 hours into the inside and out of the catera, the previous owner was a slob.
    here is a before and after.

i also re-pin striped the car, it had a dual brown stripe on it and my buffer kind of tore up the edges of it so i took it all off and went with a black pin stripe instead. over all, minus the pits in the clear, it looks really nice now. the old owner saw it the other day and almost dropped his jaw!!

Hi Jamie,
    You did a beautiful job. The black pinstripe is a nice touch.
    ...... john

now its for sale i'd think i should be able to get $1,800 for it! any takers lol?

Quote Originally Posted by shakushinnen View Post
    Thanks Jamie,
    I appreciate the help.
    That's a beautiful car, the Lincoln. What year is it?
    What about the clear coat? I heard that there's clear coat, on top of the paint of the Catera
    ..... john
    it looks like they do have a clear coat.... where the paint is chipping, its more like peeling and you can see the clear coat over where the pant is gone from it. the last owner put touch up on it.. or under it it looks like and it dont look so bad i guess.. looks like rain gets stuck under the clear coat and leaves dirt under it :s i'll take pics n post................ !! its so aggrevating

1800? im sure you can get more, i mean you said it runs fine now right?

Hi Jamie,
    Yes. Unfortunately they don't have a very high resale value. I bought my '99 when it was 5 years old for $14,000 Cdn. Doubt if I'd get much more than $3000 now, if that. Doesn't really matter. I'll probably keep it 'til the wheels fall off', unless I have a huge repair bill. It only has 130,000 kms, hardly more than broken in.
    ..... john
    .... john

yeah runs great now and drives nice. but if i got 1800 i'd be happy i'm not trying to get every penny out of it i dont need to, low price, fast sale, happy me!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.