finally my god!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, finally my god!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i posted a few weeks back i snagged a gorgeous 97 cat with 76k for 400 bucks, i spent another ...
    Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

finally my god!!!!

i posted a few weeks back i snagged a gorgeous 97 cat with 76k for 400 bucks, i spent another 307 on a gm master oil cooler kit and shipping, and another 70 on a timing belt and water pump. when i changed the oil cooler the motor was filled with mud, after flushing it out the water pump leaked, so i put it aside for a few weeks, well tonight i took the timing cover off to see the pump was deff shot, leaking right in front of my eyes not even running, crap slung all inside the timing cover, and a new belt already on it!!! sweet i cleaned everything inside the timing cover, the belt, pulleys, everything, slapped in the new water pump and so far so good, bone dry, took it for a ride, ran like a champ, came back, temp gauge at half way, fans running, bone dry, everything looks good. i'll know tomorrow if its ok if the shop floor is still dry, if so, i'm thowing her on the road and handing the keys to my wife, i gotta admit the car sucked to work on but it sure does drive awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

passionaterage is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: finally my god!!!!

A Catera is one car I would never want my wife driving. I'd hate to think she could break down anytime. A woman needs a dependable car...lol

01CadCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Congrats! But I do agree with passionaterage....She'll be calling you here in the next 5000 miles lol ,but hey like you said it is a smooth riding car...pretty safe I hear too. Good Luck
    01CadCat

well i'm into so cheap and we never are more than 5 miles from home if something does happen to it i will just burn it to the ground because i'm not sinking any more money into it.

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Don't listen to them.
    My wife has been driving a Catera for over 2 years and never once did she get stranded. There have been malfunctions but never once did she fail to get back home.

well i've been working on cars since i could walk, my uncle and my dad were mechanics and i have worked for shops throughout my life, and its simple, my wife has just as much a chance to get stranded in aything including the catera so whats the difference what she drives? i've been driving her lincoln around for a few weeks now and she took it to the store a few weeks back and blew the radiator, so its luck it didnt happen to me. cars are machines, anyone can get stranded in any one of them. i'm not in the least concerned putting her in this car, its been driven up to a week before i bought it when the oil cooler failed, well thats 11 years so why am i worried!!!

Yeah, don't listen to us. Just because we've owned Cateras and give honest opinions. Some people are lucky and never break down. But on these cars, it's not so much the chance of a MECHANICAL breakdown, but an ELECTRICAL one. I currnetly own 4 vehicles, and the Cat was the first one that actually made me think about, and get, AAA. And I kept a cell phone in it all the time. I was always a nervous wreck when I drove it. But don't listen to us, what the heck do we know. I do hope it runs flawlessly for your wife tho.

i appreciate your opinions i do, specially being new to this car, but i've decided since its fixed and runs great and all the problems are currently worked out, i'm selling it. after seeing how much parts are for these and how often it seems that people are fixing them i dont want to have a car like this. i'm a lincoln guy and love my mark VIII's, not only that but i have my own business here in florida and all i do is sell mark VIII parts and repair them for customers in my shop, and i have thousands of parts at arms reach, so why wouldnt i just keep my lincoln that is free to fix anytime, i dont have catera parts stashed and i really cant afford to buy parts when the time comes, so i'm going to make a pretty hefty profit off this car so i think i'm gonna bail before i get in any deeper!

That's a very good decision on your part. Most people, me included, fall in love with this car and just let it slowly break them. No matter how good a deal you got on it (as I did mine),or how many miles it has, it's still a 97 Catera. And I'm glad you found out how expensive parts were, and that's just for common parts. I wish I had done a little research before I sunk thousands into mine. And don't take what I said personally, I was responding to someone on here that knows how these cars are, and they still say "don't listen to them" because they've been lucky. And believe me, that's all it is, dumb luck. Anyone at all that has done even a little research on these cars knows what money pits they are, especially someone that has owned one for a while. I just think it's very irresponsible to suggest to someone that they don't listen to others' experiences, simply because they've been one of the few to be lucky with this car. Good luck to you Jamie!

thanks, its already on craigslist and soon ebay too. i did drive it again tonight and man its a nice driver but i gotta let it go, i need the money back i have invested in it and hopefully make a decent profit. oh well, back to square one!

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by passionaterage View Post
    I was responding to someone on here that knows how these cars are, and they still say "don't listen to them" because they've been lucky. And believe me, that's all it is, dumb luck. Anyone at all that has done even a little research on these cars knows what money pits they are, especially someone that has owned one for a while. I just think it's very irresponsible to suggest to someone that they don't listen to others' experiences, simply because they've been one of the few to be lucky with this car. Good luck to you Jamie!
    Call me lucky, call me what ever you like.
    Simple truth is that if you have 2 left hands than sooner or later you will be handing cash over to someone who can fix your car, any car.
    I don't have that problem and will gladly pay cash for your problem child Catera or any other vehicle provided the price is wright. Than I can iron out the bugs and drive it for free as I will sell it for a profit when the time comes.
    Yep, I'm the dumb one for not having car payments.

P.S. The Catera owes me nothing that is why it's used as a shopping cart during the week (go ahead and swing your door into the side of my car) and on the weekends it tows my toys to the beach where it gets a regular salt water bath both inside and out.

her boris what part of florida do you live in? want to buy mine? i'll give ya a hell of a deal on it. it still needs a few things to be cherry but it can be driven right now. i already have way more into it than i thought i would to fix it, but if i could get my money back and maybe a few bucks extra i would be happy. i'm in tarpon springs if you know where that is.

achapra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    P.S. The Catera owes me nothing that is why it's used as a shopping cart during the week (go ahead and swing your door into the side of my car) and on the weekends it tows my toys to the beach where it gets a regular salt water bath both inside and out.
    wow...... thats so mean!

hey i must say that sometimes the cars that are treated the worst and most abused are the ones that run for ever and never let you down. i know this from experience, some of my past cars were total beaters and i probably should have kept them, whenever i get something nice and taken care of real well, its a bottomless money pit!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.