97 3.0 timing belt help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 97 3.0 timing belt help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; well, after changing my oil cooler and getting all the sludge out of themotor that was plugging up the water ...
    Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

97 3.0 timing belt help

well, after changing my oil cooler and getting all the sludge out of themotor that was plugging up the water pump, since its clean coolant in there now it decided to show me its leaking!! so i ordered a factory water pump for it and a new timing belt and tensioner that im gonna swap while im in there already. my question is, what do i need to keep the cam gears from turning when i go to pull the old belt off, i dont want these things to move at all. my lincoln is a DOHC too and i know first hand what the cams do when the chains are released from the cam gears, i dont want this motor doing it i am very mechanically inclined but when it comes to these interference motors and 4 cams and bending valves i dont usually touch it, but im not gonna pay someone to change a belt i know i can change. do they make a tool or tools to lock the cams in place so they dont move while i change the belt? any help is greatly appreciated, maybe even pics too if anyone has taken pics of a timing belt swap on the 3 liter. thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 97 3.0 timing belt help

the there is a lock tool. but the tool is expensive. they do have rental tools but i don't know any info on that

http://www.ledfix.com/timingbelttoolrental.html

Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

great! looks like i'll be putting this off a little longer!! or i'll change the water pump and sell the car.

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No need for the "special" tool kit.
    A regular cam locking tool (the type that locks cam gears by sliding in between them) will do just fine.

-Lock the cam gears on both heads (motor at TDC).
    -Mark the location of every tensioner pulley on it's adjustment point and take a mental note on the belts tension. The shop manual has detailed images of every tensioners location when set correctly.
    -Count the number of teeth on the old belt from crank to first cam gear and between the cam gears (all 4). Don't worry if you miss this stem, I have it written down.
    -Remove belt and tensioner.
    -Install new tensioner
    -Slide the new belt on the crank and counting teeth, slide it onto the first cam gear.
    -Keep counting teeth and sliding the belt on
    -Set tendioner pulleys
    -Rotate the motor over 2 full crank revolutions and recheck your timing.

I've done 3 of these without any issues.
    A friend of mine who works at a local dealer bet me that I would be off on the first one. He brought over his fancy tools and checked the belt install.
    I won the bet.

No rocket science here, don't be afraid to work on your own motor.

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

That's great info and i was concerned about my timing belt. Had the serpentine belt changed a while back and that was cracking bad. 123,000miles and counting, plus i'm going on a long trip from GA to NC soon. Hoping it holds up and all. My engine was rebuilt around 40,000 miles and SURE they put on a new timing belt as well. I've gotten thru everything that could happen to this and looking head on.

So basically get the timing lock gears and make sure TDC. Loosen tensioners, take off belt, slide on new one making sure all pioints are dead on with the teeth, tighten tensioners and rotate 2 full turns and check points. That about it right? Thanks for the advice because i've done a lot on this car by myself. THX

Boris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That's about it.

There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary on these motors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.