Are the Head lights covers re movable
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Are the Head lights covers re movable in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys I need to know if the headlight covers are removeable the inside of mine are yellow and drity ...
    calicago is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Are the Head lights covers re movable

Hi guys I need to know if the headlight covers are removeable the inside of mine are yellow and drity makes me thinks it's been under water. I seen some tabs on it but I haven't screwed with them because i wasn't sure thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Elo
    Elo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Re: Are the Head lights covers re movable

The headlight covers are held in by clips and an epoxy seal. I removed mine by using a heat gun on the seal and prying it off.

-Elo

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

I think its more complicated then that. You need to put them in a preheated oven 250-350° for 3-4 minutes that should soften the sealant then you can pull it out with gloves and have a buddy who will help you with a set of screw drivers, you need to slowly start prying up on it to try to separate the glass/plastic piece away from the rest... heat gun can be used at the spots where it starts to harden...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

HEY elo V6 thank you guys so much ILL let you know how it goes

tpilews is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Actually, you really don't need the heat gun. It helps, but, is not necessary. I just took mine apart with no heat. Just needed about 4 screwdrivers.

Hey Tp I will check that out I had to go out of country with my wife for a while but now I'm back I'll get cracking

catman'98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera '98

Just bought a '98. Same issue -- covers looked opaque and dirty, and the lights were dim. I saw some comments on another forum somewhere that suggested cleaning them with a chemical plastic cleaner. I took it a step further. I bought some Mother's rubbing compound and Maguires <sp?> plastic cleaner at the local O'Reilley's and buffed the headlight covers with a new 6" circular buffing machine (Walmart $22) and a medium terry cloth pad (2 for $6). It took about 30 minutes and a few applications (each) of the two different compounds, but it took all the scratches and (I'm sure of it) a micro-layer of plastic off the surface. They cleaned up pretty good. At least, I don't have to replace them now. Those headlight units are EXPENSIVE to replace! The cheapest I was able to find those new are around $100 each. And they don't just sell the cover part of the module! You want a new one, you buy the entire headlight module.
    Total cost? -- about $40, and I used the buffing machine and goop to clean up the rest of the car, and have that stuff laying around now to do it all over again! The ole' Cat shined up real nice.

Well catman thanks for that tip although it sounds like an lot of work I'm sure it"s all worth it. and to all you guys that drive civics........You go girl!!

Wow guys I just finish the head lights and they look new I removed them by the methods you guys talked about and I polish them inside and out resealed them with black rtv reinstalled them and OOOoHHHh man!! what a differance And to all you guys that drive civics......You go girl

yermo13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac catera 98

the good thing about the original headlights is that you dont really have a bad time for reversing wires like thoses new headlights from germany, so a good avise is if you are thinking to get thoses headlights from germany don't waste your time, already got two and i don't want you guys going tru the samething like me well the history is long you may found and diferent post "my new headlights"
    so i'm doing now is go back to the original and try to do like you describe and the remove the cover and costumize with the angel eyes rings so if you are interesting in that i may post screenshots step by step and see how the things go ..otherwise i thing i'm the only person in houston that have angel eyes without hid ...

yermo13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac catera 98

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

WOW!! I love that kit on a black cat with the black projectors!!! It's so sexy!! Are you getting rid or your projectors? I'm thinking about getting the 1st design of black projectors and putting angel eyes in them. Here's my car with angel eyes i just put in the OEM headlight. I accidentally cracked one and pissed me off but oh well. Have some other pics later 'cause i removed the fogs.

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is your hood aftermarket? It doesn't seem like it shines like the rest of the body.

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

Everyone's going to hate me for this but...some idiot truck was stopped at a yeild sign on the cell phone and when i double checked my yeild, looked up, bam! My headlights are all fu**ed up and the hood was badly damaged. I fixed it all myself and got a hood from the auto salvage. Needless to say it was white!! I HAD to paint it to keep me from going insane!! I spray painted it black. I'm just joined a car club alot of my family members are in, i get alot of hookups so i'm gonna get new paint job...however i'm seeing if Circuit City gets my application online. That's why it doesn't shine like the rest!

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ahh figured something like that might have happened.

Gives you a reason to get a a brand new shiny paint job though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.