3.2 swap and 0411 code
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 3.2 swap and 0411 code in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hi everyone - i have a 2001 catera. recently, the engine blew, and i sourced out a 3.2l for a ...
    cjs5t is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Post 3.2 swap and 0411 code

hi everyone -

i have a 2001 catera. recently, the engine blew, and i sourced out a 3.2l for a great price. i had a local mechanic install it.

since then, the 0411 - secondary air injection code has been pulled several times and reset. after some frustration, i dragged the car to a cadillac dealership. they got the pump working, but they explained that the reading was low - air pressure maybe - and while they took their pound of flesh, they weren't keen on delving into the problem past a few hundred in labor.

i know that some people have claimed to pull off this swap. my question is whether this could be related to using the 3.0 computer for the 3.2 engine, or whether there is a common solution to what seems to be a nightmare problem - vacuum hoses, 'check valves' sticking, and an unreliable air pump.

i'd appreciate any help that you all can provide. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

passionaterage is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 3.2 swap and 0411 code

Now this may or may not help you, but I have a Camaro that I just had the same problem with. I thought it was the pump, but it turned out to be one of the check valves. And I was also getting the 0411 code. It was allowing air thru, but only about half as much as it should. The check valves would be the very first thing I would try, as they're usually fairly cheap. Only 10 bucks apiece for my Camaro, so shouldn't be over like 80 for the catera...lol

cjs5t is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hey it can't hurt - well except for buying the part. thanks for the tip.

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The 0411 code can actually be several components including the MAF. I highly doubt that it has anything to do with the 3.2 engine.

It is possible that the air pump was never the problem. You should not have paid the dealer since they did not fix the problem. You should take them to small claims court to get your money back.

I have this dreaded code as well.

BTW how did the original engine blow?

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

never did the swap, but this was my problem about a month ago

this is what i found. 90% of the time its the check valve reeds sticking. pull it off, spay carb cleaner though it and see if it pulls the code again. this was the fix to my problem. on the forums somewhere (search for p0411) there's maybe 10 posts about it, but there is a good read on how to check all your parts on the secondary air injection system without having to use a tech 2 tool. could be the pump, there are 2 valves (one plastic and one metal (metal is check valve im talking about)) and there is a control solenoid that tells the plastic valve when to open/close. if all those are fine it would be a vacuum line somewhere.

its just an emissions things, car will run great without it. all it does is remove the emissions from the exhaust until the cat converter is warmed up. at least thats what they told me

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Where is the valve that you cleaned located?

Black02SLPSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This is a little off topic, but how does that 3.2 feel in comparison to the 3.0? The 3.0 in my caddy blew up and im looking for new engines or converson options so im curious. Thanks

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

sorry its taken me so long to reply, hopefully you have it figured out. #3 in this picture is the check valve im talking about

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...2&d=1133439697

its a metal valve right in front of the engine when you look under the hood. some what of a pain to get it off, but it was a hell of a lot cheaper then to go pay for it. here is how i figured out what was wrong, its a long read but definately worth it if you don't have a tech 2 tool

(last post)
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...jection-2.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.