dexcool vs conventional?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, dexcool vs conventional? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; well i have the engine almost back together in my 97 catera after replacing the oil cooler. the parts came ...
    Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

dexcool vs conventional?

well i have the engine almost back together in my 97 catera after replacing the oil cooler. the parts came in today and all i have left to do to the car is put the radiator, fan, and hoses and a few plugs and air box back in. my question is, since my block is totally drained of coolant and all the houses are too, can i put green coolant in the car. i know gm says use dexcool only but why, what the hell is the difference. i want to fill it up and drive it for about 500 miles and flush it again to get any left over sludge out of it so i didnt want to spend a small fortune on dexcool just to waste it soon. would it be wise to put green coolant in it? thanks for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: dexcool vs conventional?

I don't know what the difference is, just seems like gm's way of making more money.

I can't see a problem of putting regular coolant in as long as you are 110% sure all the coolant is drained. I heard that the 2 coolants turn corrosive when mixed.

another suggestion, since you're only driving it 500 miles and flushing it again, use only distilled water, or a 20-80 mix.

retho78 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Smile Re: dexcool vs conventional?

I have been using the conventional coolant in my catera for two years and so far no problem. I flushed out the dexcool first and using the supertech brand (all vehicles)from walmart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.