Oil Filter Housing Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil Filter Housing Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Recently Bought A 2001 Catera. Hands down the smoothest riding car I've been in. Although when it comes to maintenance ...
    01CadCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oil Filter Housing Problem

Recently Bought A 2001 Catera. Hands down the smoothest riding car I've been in. Although when it comes to maintenance I have the hardest time finding parts, people who have experience. The only problem Ive had are a small fuse problem and the heater control valve going out( Fairly easy fix ) But my new problem is a bit serious. I was changing the oil filter and went to unscrew the top of the filter housing off...The last owner cranked it on way to tight and I split the cap down the center, also the whole housing spins with the cap as i try to untighten ? Im not sure if the actual housing is replaceable? Does it screw into the block or did I break the weld ? Found a junk yard with a catera....Can i take from it? would like to stay clear of the dealership...any ideas? Thanks

01CadCat

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Leon3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Oil Filter Housing Problem

There is a nut dead center ( of course) holding your oil filter housing against the engine. You can fill it with your fingers, very difficult to get an angle to see it though. I don't know the size. I do believe there have been cases where some have converted to the more conventional filter type.

As I recall there is a thread on here that pertains to your situation, has an exploded picture of the oil-filter housing.

Good Luck

When you say dead center...do you mean inside the housing? behind the actual filter? Im sure it will be a bitch to get to. Hope to god there are threads because my heart stopped when the housing started to spin...thought i broke welds or something. Anyway thanks for the help its much appreciated

01CadCat

txcaddycat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 1999 catera has a conventional oil filter on it. The model number is Ac delco pf52. You might want to just switch to it if you can't find a replacement since it can be bought at any auto parts store.

Leon3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Picture the threaded tube that the conventional oil filter screws into, in your case the cats housing fits over the tube and is attached by the nut.Yes inside the housing.And yes " what Txcaddycat said".

It in all likelyhood came loose and started to spin because the outside cover top was put on too tight.

Good Luck

No shit...So i can get rid of this housing and buy the pf 52 and it will hold the oil ? I would much rather go conventional because this housing shit is a pain. Thanks alot!

01CadCat

Appreciate it leon & Txcaddy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.