changed HCV and that wasn't the problem.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, changed HCV and that wasn't the problem. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I thought I had the coolant leak solve when I changed the HCV and it stoped for a couple day, ...
    cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

changed HCV and that wasn't the problem.

I thought I had the coolant leak solve when I changed the HCV and it stoped for a couple day, and now it's leaking the same as before.

I'm not sure what's back therem but the leak is hard to locate.

it's at the back of the engine, closer to the driver side, above the exhuast manifold. from the top, you can't see the leak at all, but under neath you see it leaking onto the bell housing.

I have no idea what's back ther, nor do I have an idea how to get back there to take a look at it.

any suggestions? I'm really close to dumping a bottle of stop leak in there and see if it stops it, but since my collant is still clear and clean, I don't want to dirty the system if I don't have to.

Thanks guys.

oh and the leak seems to happen faster when it's hot. in the winter, I replace the coolant every couple months, now it's every couple days before the low coolant light shows up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drb5392 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: changed HCV and that wasn't the problem.

You may have an oil cooler gasket leak. The same thing happened to me a year ago. I thought it was the HCV but it turned out to be the oil cooler. Unfortunately it's more expensive to fix than the HCV...Don't put stop leak unless you want to mess up your water pump. GM sells some tablets you can crush up and put in to stop minor leaks...it won't work on a major leak such as you are describing. Good Luck.

did you have to replace the whole oil cooler?

97diesel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'll offer another possibility. I had an oil leak, and after a little digging, located the leak as coming for the top side of the engine,(though you couldn't see it from top or underneath), dripped down the bell housing, and came down and dripped on the floor by the two bottom bolts of the bell housing. I couldn't feel a leak at the back of the engine, so I started to dismantle the top of the engine, so I could find it. Turns out that underneath the intake manifold, which is below the intake plenum, there are two metal oil tubes that have banjo nut fittings that bolt to the top of the engine block. But now to your issue, above the back banjo nut, which were just loose, is a double banjo nut that supplies coolant to each of the heads. Both of these nuts on mine were also loose. So just a suggestion and option for you to look at. I had mine apart and back together in about 2 hours. Mine is a 2000 Cat. Good luck with your search.

thanks for all the help.

I have the top off and just wanted to know what you guys think. does this look like it could be the culprit?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/...6cd60c.jpg?v=0

the oil cooler seem relitively dry

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/...6b8d38.jpg?v=0

what you guys think?

is that the coolant bridge? how would I fix that?

oh crap.

I mess up..

I was tightening up the bolts on the oil cooler and it looks like I over torqued it and broke it.

does any one know what the part number of this is?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/...a00637.jpg?v=0

or if someone by miracle has an extra one

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.