well i went digging in!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, well i went digging in!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; here's my progress so far, got everything out of my way and yanked that pesky little oil cooler out. ordering ...
    Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

well i went digging in!!

here's my progress so far, got everything out of my way and yanked that pesky little oil cooler out. ordering an engine oil cooler pro kit from gm tomorrow i should have it mid week and get the gal back together and out for a road trip by the end of next weekend. the one thing i cant figure out is how on god's green earth are you supposed to change the t-stat. i had the neck unbolted, and wiggling but i cannot lift it up to change the t-stat. i cant even get the clamp off the end of the hose where the t-stat neck comes out on the driver side of the cylinder head. bo y i thought my lincolns had some special engineers when they made them, this car is special too, very special lol! anyone have any cheats or pointers on the thermostat? we got about 10 gallons of hot water/purple power mixed and low pressure air through the valley, the block and head water jackets, the water pump and the hoses until it finally came out with clean water, i knew it was going to be bad, but it was way worse then i thought the stuff that came out was like nothing i have ever seen before!here's a few pics of my mess.

these next two pics were taken after i cleaned the engine out you couldnt even make the cooler out when i first pulled the plate off, it was burried in coffee colored mud.

check out the shop vac lol:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: well i went digging in!!

Now that looks like some serious fun doesnt it... While you are in there make sure you take care of any gaskets and o rings that could go bad later, I think you can change the thermostat to make sure it doesnt go bad some day... other then that be careful with how everything else goes back together and good luck.

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

I went thru the same thing a month ago. It's hard, nasty and will make your catera better for the long haul. Funny thing is for me, the original owners had the engine rebuilt but NEVER replaced the oil cooler. My cat has been nice to me but she's seen harsh times. TRUST ME. At least she's still running strong. Only thing i'm worried about is my transmission. 121,000 mi and fluid has never been changed! Yes, good luck on your car!

cateraowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

the thermostat is the pain in the ass.

it took me a couple day to fgure out how to take the crossover pipe out. the pipe just fits into the thermo housing with 2 gaskets.

what I found was don't unbolt the thermo housing yet. pull out the radiator hose the feeds the thermostat. unscrew the pesk bolt that you can't really see. use a long screw driver for some leverage to pop that crossover pipe out. when that out. then you can unbolt the thermostat and pull it out.

just a question.. how did you take the intake manifold off? I had it unbolted, but it seemed to be wedged in there, couldn't really lift it out.

good luck. seens like you're close to finishing.

Jamies97Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Catera

the intake was a piece of cake, had it all off in about 15 minutes, it was probably the only thing thats going to be easy about the whole job! ordered the gm master engine oil cooler kit and should be here by thursday, i know where i'll be this weekend, in my shop fixing this thing lol!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.