How to Replace Brake Light Switch 1998 Cadillac Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, How to Replace Brake Light Switch 1998 Cadillac Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good morning. The brake lights on my grandpa's Catera weren't working, so the first thing we did was replace the ...
    raphifix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question How to Replace Brake Light Switch 1998 Cadillac Catera

Good morning. The brake lights on my grandpa's Catera weren't working, so the first thing we did was replace the bulbs. Unfortunately, that didn't work. We checked the fuses and they were all good. When I went under the brake pedal to remove the switch, I was unable to do so, and could only remove the wire. The cruise control switch is in the way. I would like to avoid taking it to the dealer, so I would like to know how to remove the brake light switch and whether or not it involves the removal of the cruise control switch. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

passionaterage is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: How to Replace Brake Light Switch 1998 Cadillac Catera

No, you don't remove the cruise control swith, but both switches look alike, so be careful. They're both right under the brake pedal itself. I had to break mine to get it out, which was ok because I was changing it anyway. But I broke the cruise control switch before I saw they were both alike..lol

Quote Originally Posted by passionaterage View Post
    No, you don't remove the cruise control swith, but both switches look alike, so be careful. They're both right under the brake pedal itself. I had to break mine to get it out, which was ok because I was changing it anyway. But I broke the cruise control switch before I saw they were both alike..lol
    So should I just break the brake light switch to get it out?

passionaterage is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

As long as it's the right switch, I'd say yes. It's hard to get it out without breaking it. You'll be putting the new one in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by passionaterage View Post
    As long as it's the right switch, I'd say yes. It's hard to get it out without breaking it. You'll be putting the new one in anyway.
    This may sound silly, but how should I go about breaking it to get it out? :-)

Sorry, I'm a bit new a this.

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

You can take a pair of pliers and grab it by the white button tip. Push it to either side and it will snap.

If you undo the two screws that secure the fuse box you can undo it without breaking it, assuming your hands/arms are little enough to get in there. All you do is unhook the wire harness (to the brake switch), grab at the very back and push it either to left/right. It will pop loose. You can install the new one from this hole as well.

I have written a how to on this subject before. Search in the "tech tips" section of the website.

mariagovea18 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi, very useful your information but I have a question. I own this cadillac but live in Venezuela, do you know which other brake light switch is good for this car? Can I use another carīs brake light switch like a Ford, General Motors, BMW or another brand?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The Catera doesn't share any parts with other North American cars except the Pontiac GTO, and only a few suspension and brake parts at that. This is only a guess since I'm not familiar with the cars available in Venezuela, but the Chevrolet Omega from Brasil is basically a Holden Omega which is based on the Opel Omega like the Catera. It's possible that the switched from that car are the same for the Catera. It's only a guess so do some research before breaking the brake switch.

Read the following from the Omega Owners Forum in the UK. It might help.
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...?topic=90533.0

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.