Discussion on EXHAUST!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Discussion on EXHAUST! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The plan again is to upgrade the exhaust system on my Cat and I have been considering a few options... ...
    CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Talking Discussion on EXHAUST!

The plan again is to upgrade the exhaust system on my Cat and I have been considering a few options...

I want a deep but quiet sound, no raspiness, and also I want an X-pipe to help with the flow...

Here is a picture of the current set up..

I plan on using an X-pipe right after the two pipes lign up next to each other just past the Flanges from the cats...

And then after that for the mufflers I plan on using either a cherry bomb or some sort of a round short muffler, and the rear resonator is staying where it is...

Any inputs on this design, the Xpipe takes out 6-8dB from the noise and a cherrybomb should help with the rest but as to the sound I am puzzled, dont want to spend 200-300$ and end up with garbage sounding exhaust...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Richard A. Coyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Discussion on EXHAUST!

Dude these are your Cats on your Cat, depending on what state your in you could be in big trouble if your remove them.

You can remove the resonators but not the Cats.

Rich

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

well if you become good friends with certain mechanics they will pass you no matter what

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Richard A. Coyle View Post
    Dude these are your Cats on your Cat, depending on what state your in you could be in big trouble if your remove them.

You can remove the resonators but not the Cats.

Rich
    Those are the resonators. The "cats" live up front, near the tranny.

Lawrence_C is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I always wanted to consider to see if a magnaflow exhaust would sound good on our cateras

Wow Elvin is that your car bud? why are the exhaust pipes so rusty, they should be stainless, at least on mine they are...

Ohh BTW I measured the distance from front to back straight section to just past the mufflers and it was 32in, and also the pipes were 49mm and distance between at narrowest point was 10cm... so that doesnt leave much room for anything, xpipe is going to take at least 20-25in, and then there wont be any mufflers so I need to find a different route...

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The Catera and GTO exhaust systems are very similar in terms of layout. The Spintech GTO system, being wider, isn't an exact fit but you could modify the Catera's into a version of it. The side exits would trim a lot of weight off the already heavy Catera.

Finding small enough mufflers is the key. Something along the line of these Cherry Bomb Turbo Mufflers. Maybe set where the Spintech mufflers sit with 45* elbows at the entrance and exit. Just flip the cans so the offset exit lays near the outside of the car. The crossover here is just the piped cut open where they touch and welded together. Very simple. Just take a picture of the Spintech system with an explanation of what you want and I'm sure they can fab something up.

Entrance Side =>=> Exit Side

Read more about the Spintech GTO exhaust systems:
    http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ech/index.html

Elvin

PS: Not my car pictured in my first post. That's an Omega from the OOF site.

eastsidercaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Black Catera

Well after a spinout in february that led me to drop the exhaust, my muffler joints where they were welded to have rusted off at the muffler. i need a new one and pondering the same things you guys are...what to get! I've seen on eby 2 mufflers that 1) Are Dual inlet and outlet and (2) FIT. They are both 9" wide with a 2.25" Inlet+Outlet. I'm sure they would fit and a little modding would probably be needed. Easy job. Here they are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelb...3510QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MPE-1...spagenameZWD1V

I want to remove the resonators for an X-pipe and use either the Edlebrock or Magnaflow muffler. the left tip would have an extension to go straight were the OEM muffler cutout is, and have the right outlet have a pipe welded that would make a bend to the right side of the car to make appearances of dual exhaust. There's just enough space in teh rear bumper where the gas tank is and bumper metal to allow a pipe. Of course the pipe going next to the gas tank would be insulated. Any questions or comments? That's what's planned.

Po Pimp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92' Eldorado, 97 Catera

[QUOTE=CateraMV6;1589734]Wow Elvin is that your car bud? why are the exhaust pipes so rusty, they should be stainless, at least on mine they are...
    QUOTE]

Stainless steel does rust contrary to popular belief. You should see how long stainless steel items last in the back of a commercial kitchen. 1-5 years is all you can get out of some items depending on there use.

All the cateras I have seen have stainless steel exhaust systems.

Well i just bought the Edelbrock SDT series muffler that was on ebay. It's the correct spec and width so it's a tight squeeze. I'll post a video and sound of the new exhaust. Will have resonators removed and x-pipe put in with new muffler for a great performance upgrade. Also will have the pipes made for dual exhaust look. Just wondering about what kind of tips i should get!

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

[quote=Po Pimp;1599522]
    Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    Wow Elvin is that your car bud? why are the exhaust pipes so rusty, they should be stainless, at least on mine they are...
    QUOTE]

Stainless steel does rust contrary to popular belief. You should see how long stainless steel items last in the back of a commercial kitchen. 1-5 years is all you can get out of some items depending on there use.

All the cateras I have seen have stainless steel exhaust systems.
    Stainless steel come in many different alloys. Exhaust systems are usually 409 which is a very low grade.

A high grade such as 321 will never corrode, not even in a kitchen.

Got the new muffler put in today! Fit is no problem. Edelbrock SDT series muffler. had resonators cut and new pipes all the way back. The shop owner was working on the pipes and I had bad stomach pains and used the restroom and he had already welded the pipe hangers inplace so, I was not able to point out that i wanted the pipes closer to the bumper to look tucked in. oh well, here's my new setup and will be improved upon later. I'm making a cover for the rear under body to cover the pipe going to the right and the rear will look better with it.

So how is the sound, can you make a sound clip for us to hear it? That would be just sweet. I am curious as to how much noise is canceled by the mufflers before the rear diff...

I've got a small clip of the sound. Will get a better one later. Looking at larger tips as these look too small for the right look.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...14-08_1513.flv

Talking Re: Discussion on EXHAUST!

So just to clearify, you got rid of the two mufflers and the resonator out back and replaced with straight pipes and a X Brand muffler at the very rear.

I just got my mufflers ordered, FLOWTECH Hot Reds... straight through and those will be going in place of the current mufflers, OEM resonator will stay in place....

BTW how do you like the sound? Loud, annoying on the highway?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.